Category:Former national capitals
This is a list of cities that once served as the capital of their respective countries, until the countries' governments relocated the capitals elsewhere.
Not included in this category are:
- Former capitals of countries that no longer exist (see Category:Capitals of former nations), unless they were also capitals of yet-existing countries.
- Ruined cities, e.g. Memphis, Egypt
- Former national capitals that are now the capital of another country. For example, Kiev would not be included on this list by virtue of it serving as an early capital of Kievan Rus' (predecessor to Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine) because it is now the capital of Ukraine.
Please place only city articles to this category. City categories should not be subcategories to this category.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Former national capitals.|
This category has the following 23 subcategories, out of 23 total.
- ► Former capitals of Armenia (12 P)
- ► Former capitals of Bulgaria (14 P)
- ► Former capitals of Egypt (21 P)
- ► Former capitals of Finland (2 P)
- ► Former capitals of Hungary (12 P)
- ► Former capitals of Japan (16 P)
- ► Former capitals of Korea (5 P)
- ► Former capitals of Montenegro (7 P)
- ► Former capitals of Poland (5 P)
- ► Former capitals of Romania (7 P)
- ► Former capitals of Serbia (14 P)
Pages in category "Former national capitals"
The following 80 pages are in this category, out of 80 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).