Category:Indigenous peoples of Central America
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indigenous peoples of Central America.|
This regional sub-category is intended for articles on particular indigenous peoples of this (sub-)region, and related topics. See the discussion on the parent category talk page at Category talk:indigenous peoples for suggested criteria to be used in determining whether or not any particular group should be placed in this sub-category.
The term indigenous peoples used here has a particular, modern analytical sense. As such, not every ethnic grouping of this region will warrant inclusion here. Reference sources should be cited, particularly if the identification as indigenous may be controversial or contested.
This region includes the territories as outlined in the Wikipedia geographical article, Central America, typically consisting of:
- Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama
- Sometimes, ancient cultures of Mesoamerica that nowadays would be part of some Central American countries
Note that some particular group may be eligible for inclusion in more than one regional sub-category, either because the regional boundaries overlap, or the group is distributed across more than one region. A given group should be placed in its appropriate regional sub-category(ies), and optionally perhaps also its main regional category, rather than the overall parent category indigenous peoples.
This category has the following 19 subcategories, out of 19 total.
- ► Circum-Caribbean tribes (8 C, 33 P)
- ► Garifuna (3 C, 12 P)
- ► Indigenous peoples in Belize (1 C, 5 P)
- ► Indigenous peoples in Costa Rica (1 C, 9 P)
- ► Indigenous peoples in El Salvador (3 P)
- ► Indigenous peoples in Guatemala (9 C, 19 P)
- ► Indigenous peoples in Honduras (6 P)
- ► Indigenous peoples in Nicaragua (4 P)
- ► Indigenous peoples in Panama (4 C, 8 P)
- ► Itza (8 P)
- ► Lenca (8 P)
- ► Pipil (9 P)
Pages in category "Indigenous peoples of Central America"
The following 28 pages are in this category, out of 28 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).