|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mass media.|
|Look up Category:en:Media in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
|Universal Decimal||0 060|
The mass media are the entire array of the media specifically envisioned and designed to reach a large audience, like radio, television, magazines, newspapers and the World Wide Web. The term was coined in the 1920s with the advent of nationwide radio networks and mass-circulation newspapers and magazines.
The word "media" is widely used as a short-hand for "mass media". Although commonly misused as a singular term — erroneously implying that "the media" are a single, monolithic entity — "media" is the plural of "medium", and thus refers to the multiplicity of publications, broadcast outlets, etc. In addition, "media" is often used interchangeably with "news media", disregarding the fundamental distinction between those two terms. The news media are those segments of the media which employ journalists to disseminate news; articles pertaining to that subject area are found in Category:News media. Other forms and uses of media generally fall under the heading of entertainment media (with some media combining elements of both news and entertainment), along with advertising, public relations, and propaganda.
Individual creative works such as films, television programs, books, plays and so on should be categorized in the appropriate subcategories at Category:Creative works, not here.
This category has the following 45 subcategories, out of 45 total.
- ► Lists of media (6 C, 4 P)
- ► Mass media by genre (7 C)
- ► Mass media by language (139 C, 2 P)
- ► Mass media lists (7 C, 4 P)
- ► Mass media by century (6 C)
- ► Mass media by decade (4 C)
- ► Mass media by ideology (1 C, 1 P)
- ► Mass media by interest (20 C)
- ► Mass media by location (4 C)
- ► Mass media by medium (9 C)
- ► Mass media by owner (5 C)
- ► Mass media by topic (13 C, 4 P)
- ► Mass media by type (11 C, 2 P)
- ► Media freedom (6 C)
- ► Media people (21 C)
- ► Media regulation (4 C, 15 P)
- ► Wikipedia books on media (2 C, 23 P)
- ► Mass media stubs (6 C, 82 P)
- ► Wikipedia categories named after media (18 C)
Pages in category "Mass media"
The following 61 pages are in this category, out of 61 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).