Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Pages in this category should be moved to subcategories where applicable. This category may require frequent maintenance to avoid becoming too large. It should directly contain very few, if any, pages and should mainly contain subcategories.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pest insects.|
- Pest insects — The classification of an insect as a pest is a subjective one, based on its potential damage to human needs and/or natural habitats and ecosystems.
- Pest insects can: damage or kill agricultural crops, ornamental plants, or native plants in situ; consume and/or damage harvested food; cause illness or unproductivity in agricultural animals (ie: cattle); and vector human diseases or cause pain.
- Some insects are beneficial at one stage of life and a pest at another stage, for example many lepidopterans may be serious pests as larvae, while they may be pollinators in adulthood.
- Some insects that are considered pests in human settlements/gardens are actually more a beneficial insect than pestiferous: example: bees (the main pollinators of human food supplies).
This category has the following 12 subcategories, out of 12 total.
- ► Agricultural pest insects (4 C, 357 P)
- ► Insect control (3 C, 24 P)
- ► Household pest insects (1 C, 48 P)
- ► Leaf miners (69 P)
Pages in category "Pest insects"
The following 16 pages are in this category, out of 16 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).