Category:Protected Wrecks of the United Kingdom
- More information can be found at Protection of Wrecks Act 1973 and Protection of Military Remains Act 1986
The category Protected Wrecks of the United Kingdom identifies wrecks (ships and others) protected by UK legislation, and the legislation that protects them. Note that the protection can apply to UK sovereign vessels outside UK waters as well as to the vessels of the UK and other nations lying in UK waters. The applicable legislation is:
- Sites of wrecks in UK territorial waters may be designated as restricted areas by reason of historical, archaeological or artistic interest. The coordinates of the restricted area are stated in the designation. It is illegal to damage such wrecks and a licence is required to dive or investigate such wrecks.
- Wrecks of military vessels or those in military service, of any nation, that sank after 14 August 1914 in UK territorial waters may be designated as controlled sites. The site is stated in the designation. It is illegal to dive or interfere with such vessels without a licence.
- Wrecks of UK military vessels or those in UK military service, that sank after 14 August 1914 anywhere in the world may be designated as protected places. It is not necessary for the site of the wreck to be known. The name of the vessel and date of sinking are stated in the designation. Protected sites may be dived but the wreck must not be interfered with, however the legislation for wrecks lying outside UK controlled waters is only enforceable on UK citizens and UK flagged vessels.
- Wrecks of aircraft are automatically protected as protected places.
- This has been applied to vessels in Wales and Scotland, but not in England.
- Three vessels that sank during the Falklands War in waters controlled by the Falklands Islands government are protected under legislation similar to the UK Protection of Wrecks Act 1973.
- "The Protection of Wrecks Act 1973". Office of Public Sector Information. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- "The Protection of Military Remains Act 1986". Office of Public Sector Information. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- "Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979". Office of Public Sector Information. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- Protection of Wrecks Ordnance 1977 (No. 12) 7 July 1977 (Falkland Islands)
Pages in category "Protected Wrecks of the United Kingdom"
The following 95 pages are in this category, out of 95 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).