Category:Protective security units
Protective security units typically provide policing, security, intelligence and bodyguard services for Sovereigns and Princes. They can be contrasted with security services which provide protective security intelligence (such as the Security Service (MI5); and Guards Regiments for the defence of the Sovereign and the metropolis. Examples of these include the Household Division.
There are also distinct non-combat personal bodyguards which serve as ceremonial guards and personal attendants (such as the Gentlemen at Arms, the Yeomen of the Guard, the Royal Company of Archers, and the Honourable Artillery Company, as well as the Corps of Serjeants at Arms, the Gold Stick and Silver Stick, and the High Constables and Guard of Honour of the Palace of Holyroodhouse).
Well-known examples include the Royalty and Diplomatic Protection Department of the London Metropolitan Police, and the United States Secret Service. Typically they provide security and ceremonial effect is not per se an object.
The Garda Síochána (Irish Police) Special Detective Unit (SDU) and Emergency Response Unit (ERU) provide armed protection and transport for the Irish President, Michael D. Higgins and the Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Enda Kenny. The unit also provides protection for senior government officials, diplomatic staff and visiting dignitaries to Ireland.
In Northern Ireland the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) Close Protection Unit (CPU) provides protection to visiting dignitaries on visits to Northern Ireland as well as to the Secretary of State, members of the Royal Family and Government ministers.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Protective security units.|
- "The Crime & Security Branch". An Garda Síochána. 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
This category has the following 5 subcategories, out of 5 total.
Pages in category "Protective security units"
The following 84 pages are in this category, out of 84 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
- Praetorian Guard
- President Guard Regiment
- President's Bodyguard
- President's Guard
- President's Security Division
- Presidential Guard (South Vietnam)
- Presidential Security Group
- Presidential Security Service
- Presidential Security Service (Belarus)
- Presidential Security Service (Russia)
- Prime Minister's Security Division
- Protection and Guard Service
- Protection Command
- Protective security units
- Security detail
- Security Police (Japan)
- Service de la protection
- Special Branch
- Special Detective Unit
- Special Presidential Division
- Special Protection Group
- Special Republican Guard (Iraq)
- Special Security and Protection Battalion
- Special Security Force
- Special State Protection Service of Georgia
- Special Task Force
- SS-Begleitkommando des Führers
- State Security Department
- Supreme Guard Command
- Swedish Security Service