Category talk:Grandes écoles
|WikiProject Universities||(Rated Category-class)|
|WikiProject France||(Rated Category-class)|
There should be subcategories for "French Business schools" and "French Engineering schools" at least in there; not only would it make the list much cleaner (those schools have little to do with each other anyway) but it would make it possible to add these subcategories as subcategories of the general "Business schools" and "Engineering Schools" categories. Jules LT 17:39, 28 October 2005 (UTC)
Could I propose a number of issues for tidying articles in this category?
English names vs French
Some articles use English / international translations; some use French names. We need to be consistent.
Articles starting with E acute should file as E within this and other categories to avoid splitting articles across two letters
Names vs Abbreviations
It appears that some institutes are entered as acronyms / abbreviations whereas others are spelled out in full - we need to be consistent
Some articles capitalise the normale, superieure, etc., some don't - we need to be consistent
Do we sort these articles by:
- Alphabetic name?
Do we use subcategories to hold, say, all the Ecole Normales?
I propose to instigate the following - please comment as soon as possible if you disagree.
- Use full French names for all institutes
- Use English redirects to French-named articles, as appropriate
- Use (accented as appropriate) capital letters on each component word
- Use subcategories for each level, Ecole Normale, Ecole Normale Superieure, etc. etc.
- Sort alphabetically
Clearly, we could introduce alternative subcategories for sorting by city, specialisation, etc. if this is required / appropriate. I don't propose this for now - I would like to see a single consistent treatment of the existing articles - to establish some sort of precedent for future articles to follow. Ian Cairns 00:14, 4 January 2007 (UTC)
- To reply to my own posting, the cleanup is now mostly complete - so I removed the tag. Others may differ. There is some slight variation in sorting but it is now usable for most purposes. Please edit boldly. Thanks, Ian Cairns 05:03, 4 January 2007 (UTC)
Categorization of "grandes écoles"
I request comments on the categorization put into place by User:Euroflux. There is a long discussion here, although most of it is irrelevant, as Euroflux continues to address questions that were not posed. The issue is not the question whether or not this, category needs reorganization or how. The problems as I see them are two, mainly independent ones.
- Category names: As can be seen on the main page for this category, Euroflux has created subcategories with names like "Grandes écoles (French scientists & intellectuals)". Contrary to what this title suggests, these categories are not intended for persons (i.e., "French scientists and intellectuals"), but for schools educating "French scientists and intellectuals" (of course, like almost any school nowadays, they also have many non-French students and alumni). Hence, these names are misleading and go against WP:CATNAME.
- Sortkeys: When inspecting the main page of this category, one will notice that the subcategories are not listed, as customary, in alphabetical order. This is because Euroflux insists on adding numerical sortkeys to these categories. In the discussion referred to above, Euroflux claims that these numerical sortkeys are based on a ranking published in a French journal. However, this is explained nowhere. Even if it were, a category is not the place to explain a ranking, nor should category entries be ranked at all. Note that, in some cases, instead of numerical sortkeys, an exclamation mark is used (no explanation of this has yet been given), see for example Category:Grandes écoles (French economists).