Category talk:Vegetarian cuisine
|WikiProject Food and drink||(Rated Category-class)|
“Typical for a vegetarian diet”
What's typically vegetarian about Halva or Guacamole? Do they substitute anything non-vegetarian?
If they can be in this category, can I add other foods that don't contain animal body parts? Wikipeditor 22:52, 27 June 2006 (UTC)
- Someone added "Breakfast cereal" so I dont see why not. 220.127.116.11 02:57, 17 April 2007 (UTC)
What belongs in this category?
I'm not entirely clear on what articles belong in this category. It seems to me like it should not be a dumping ground for articles about every food or dish that is not meat-based -- there are too many of them and we have better categorization schemes for them. Moreover I think as a general principle articles should be categorized by defining characteristics of the topic, rather than by things the topic is not. So, what belongs here, either directly or in subcategories?
- Articles about ethnic cuisines that are traditionally vegetarian -- OK?
- Meat substitutes -- OK?
- Restaurants that specialize in vegetarian cuisine -- OK?
- Publications and media about vegetarian cuisine -- OK?
- Foods that are associated with traditional ethnic vegetarian cuisines, like tofu or dal -- maybe?
- Foods that just happen not to be meat-based without any strong connection to the practice of vegetarianism, like macaroni and cheese or breakfast cereals -- maybe not?
- Anything else?
What do others think? I don't have any particularly strong opinions about vegetarianism but don't like to see the category getting cluttered with random articles that have only a peripheral connection to the topic. Dr.frog (talk) 05:40, 2 November 2011 (UTC)