This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Valente in 1966
|Born||14 January 1931|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, guitarist, dancer, actress|
Caterina Valente (born 14 January 1931 in Paris, France) is a French-born Italian multilingual singer, guitarist, dancer, and actress. Valente is a polyglot; she speaks six languages, and sings in eleven. While she is best-known as an international performer, Valente also spent part of her career in the United States, where she performed alongside Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Perry Como, and Ella Fitzgerald, among others.
In 1953, she made her first recordings with Kurt Edelhagen. Soon afterwards she achieved success with songs such as "Malagueña", "The Breeze and I" (a global million-seller), and "Dreh dich nicht um" with the Werner Müller orchestra.
In 1955, she was featured on The Colgate Comedy Hour with Gordon MacRae. In 1958, she filmed the musical comedy Hier bin ich – hier bleib ich (Here I Am, Here I Stay) which featured a guest appearance by Bill Haley & His Comets. During Haley's segment, Valente sings a duet with Haley on a newly recorded version of his song "Vive la Rock and Roll".
In the mid 1960s, Valente worked with Claus Ogerman and recorded material in both Italian and English that he arranged/conducted and/or composed on the Decca  and London  labels. Valente was a favorite of singer Perry Como, making eight guest appearances on his NBC Kraft Music Hall television program from 1961-66. Between 1966-72, she was a frequent guest on The Dean Martin Show.
In Germany, she was a major performer of Schlager music. There, she recorded Cole Porter's I Love Paris under the German title Ganz Paris träumt von der Liebe, which sold more than 900,000 copies in 1954.
Over the years, she has recorded or performed with many international stars, including Louis Armstrong, Chet Baker, Perry Como, Ella Fitzgerald, Benny Goodman, Woody Herman, Claus Ogerman, the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra, Sy Oliver, Buddy Rich and Edmundo Ros.
In 1959, she was nominated for a Grammy Award. Valente was a principal on the CBS variety series The Entertainers (1964–65). A briglia sciolta, the Italian jazz CD recorded in 1989 and re-released in later years under the titles Fantastica and Platinum deluxe, was her best-selling CD worldwide. In 2001, she released a new album, Girltalk, with harpist Catherine Michel.
Valente was born an Italian citizen. Having been born and grown up in France she is now a French citizen. During her marriage to her first husband she held a German passport. She is of Italian ancestry. One of four children, she was born into a musical family; her father, Giuseppe, was an accordion player, and her mother, Maria, was a musical comedienne.
In 1972, she married British pianist Roy Budd. They had a son, Alexander, before divorcing in 1979.
A polyglot, Valente speaks six languages (French, Italian, German, English, Spanish and Swedish), in all of which she can also sing. In addition, she is capable of singing in Dutch, Portuguese, Hebrew, Greek and Japanese.
Valente is a longtime resident of Lugano, Switzerland.
Selected album discography
- The Hi-Fi Nightingale, 1956
- Olé Caterina, 1957, (Decca DL-8436)
- Plenty Valente!, 1957, (Decca DL 8440)
- A Toast To the Girls, (Decca DL 8755)
- Schlagerparade, (Decca DL 8852)
- More Schlagerparade, (Decca DL 4035)
- À La Carte - Caterina Valente Sings In French, (Decca DL 4050)
- Arriba!, 1959
- The Greatest... in Any Language!, (Decca DL 4052)
- Golden Favorites, (Decca DL-4504)
- Rendezvous with Caterina, (Decca)
- Fire & FrenzyCaterina Valente & Edmundo Ros Orchestra, 1960
- Classics with a Chaser, 1960, (RCA Victor LPM-2119)
- Super-Fonics, (RCA LSP-2241)
- Great Continental Hits, 1962. Decca
- South Of The Border, 1963.
- Valente In Swingtime, 1963. Teldec
- Caterina Valente's Greatest Hits, 1965. Decca
- The Intimate Valente, 1966. Decca
- Strictly U.S.A., (London LL 3307)
- Songs I've Sung on the Perry Como Show
- I Happen to Like New York, (London LL 3362)
- Valente & Violins, 1964. (London 3363)
- Sweet Beat, (London PS 536)
- Valente on T.V.
- Love, 1972. (London Phase 4), Stereo
- Serenata d'Amore
- A Poliglota da Canção
- Caterina - A Cosmopolita, Polydor 46065
- Caterina Valente com Edmundo Ros
- Caterina Cherie, Polydor 46310
- Una Cita Con Caterina Valente (A Date With Caterina Valente), Polydor 24011, 10 inch LP
- Olé, Caterina!, (Polydor 25019)
- Un Brindis para las Muchachas, (Polydor 25048)
- Bueno... Clásico... y Popular! (Classics with a Chaser), (RCA Victor LPM-2119)
- Classics with a Chaser, (RCA Victor LPM-2119)
- Cosmopolitan Lady, (Polydor 46065)
- A Toast To The Girls, (Polydor 46074)
- Caterina Valente & Edmundo Ros: Nothing But Aces, Decca 4157
- Great Continental Hits, Decca LK 4508
- Valente In Swingtime, 1963. Decca SKL 4537
- I Happen to Like New York, Decca LK 4630
- Caterina Valente's Greatest Hits, 1965
- The World of Caterina Valente, 1971. Decca SPA 192
- I Happen to Like New York, World Record Club S/4384, 196?
- Great Continental Hits, World Record Club, 196?
- The Best of Caterina Valente, SUMMIT Karussell SRA 250-548 (on the cover)/2430 032 (on the label)
- Plenty Valente!, 1957. Polydor LPHM 43.037
- A Date With Caterina Valente, Polydor 45 517
- Olé Caterina!, Polydor 46 029 LPHM
- Weltschlager mit Caterina Valente, 1959. Polydor Sonderauflage Bertelsmann J 53503, 10 inch LP
- Ihre großen Erfolge
- Konzert für Frack und Petticoat - Classics with a Chaser, RCA LSP-2119
- Super-Fonics, RCA LSP-2241
- Caterina Valente & Edmundo Ros: Latein Amerikanische Rhythmen, DECCA BLK 16184-P
- Caterina in Italia, Decca BLK 16211-P
- Caterina on Tour, Decca BLK 16213-P
- Caterina Valente & Silvio Francesco: Deutsche Evergreens, Decca SLK 16 189 P
- Pariser Chic, Pariser Charme, Decca SLK 16266 P
- I Happen to Like New York, Decca SLK 16 290
- Wenn es Nacht wird in den Städten, 1965. Decca SLK 16 345
- Portrait in Music, Decca SLK 16 420-P
- Happy Caterina, Decca SLK 16485-P
- Die großen Erfolge (Decca ND 103, Stereo)
- Schlager, Lieder & Chansons, Decca ND 182
- Schlager, Lieder & Chansons 2, Decca ND 557
- Caterina Valente & Edmundo Ros: Olé Mambo, 1969. Decca 79 505
- Caterina Valente & Edmundo Ros: Latin together, Decca SLK 16849-P
- Ich wär so gern bei Dir, Decca 6.22003
- The Best Of Caterina Valente, Polydor 184047
- Tanz mit Catrin, HÖR ZU TELDEC HZT 514
- Ganz Paris träumt von der Liebe - Caterina Valente singt ihre Welterfolge, 1970.
- Bonjour Kathrin – Caterina Valente präsentiert ihre größten Erfolge, 1965
- Bonjour Kathrin, Karussell 635 106
- Latein Amerikanische Rhythmen, 1960
- Du bist Musik, 1956 (45106 LPH - Polydor Sternchen)
- Liebe, Tanz und 1000 Schlager (1955)
- Du bist Musik (1956)
- Bonjour Kathrin (1956)
- The Simple Girl (1957)
- Here I Am, Here I Stay (1959)
- Du bist wunderbar (1959)
- Schneewittchen und die sieben Gaukler (1962)
- 1961 Bravo Otto, „Female singers“ Gold (also 1960, 1962 and 1963 in Silver)
- 1964 "Europremio" European TV Award, Venice, Italy
- 1965 „O Globo“ Award for Best Foreign Singer of Latin American music, Brazil
- 1965 "FAME Award", USA
- 1968 Bundesverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse ("1st Class Cross of Merit"), Germany
- 1972 "Officier de l'éducation artistique" Officer of Artistic Education, Paris, France
- 1986 „Großes Bundesverdienstkreuz der Bundesrepublik Deutschland“ Grand Cross of Merit, Germany
- 1966 Goldene Kamera, Germany
- 1990 Bambi, Germany
- 1991 Goldene Europa „Lifetime-Award“, Saarbrücken, Germany
- 1995 Bambi „Lifetime-Award“, Germany
- 1998 Platin Romy Lifetime Award, Austria
- 2002 Echo, „Lifetime-Award“ Germany
- 2004 "Premio GABARDI", Lifetime Milano, Italy
- 2005 Honorary Bambi, Germany
- Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London, UK: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 77. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.
- "The Work of Claus Ogerman". Bjbear71.com. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- "The Work of Claus Ogerman". Bjbear71.com. 16 November 1965. Retrieved 17 August 2015.