Catford Loop Line
|Catford Loop Line|
|Type||Suburban rail, Heavy rail|
|Opened||1 July 1892|
|Rolling stock||Class 319
Class 375 "Electrostar"
Class 465 "Networker"
Class 466 "Networker"
|Number of tracks||2|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Electrification||750 DC third rail|
|Operating speed||Maximum 60 mph (97 km/h)|
The Catford Loop Line is a railway line in southeast London. It carries a suburban stopping passenger service from central London to Sevenoaks, and is also a relief route for the Chatham Main Line carrying passenger trains from London Victoria to the Kent coast. There is also much freight activity as this is the main route to Willesden and the north via Latchmere junction, with intermodal traffic from Thamesport and international workings from Dollands Moor.
The line begins at Brixton junction, where it diverges from the Chatham Main line, and ends when it rejoins the Chatham main line (now extended to pairs of fast and slow lines) at Shortlands Junction, west of Shortlands station.
Incorporated as the Shortlands and Nunhead Railway in 1889 it was opened by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway on 1 July 1892. The line left the former Crystal Palace High Level branch and the Nunhead to Lewisham link (the former Greenwich Park branch) at a junction east of Nunhead.
The five stations on the original route were:
The length of the Catford Loop is nearly eight miles (12.5 km).
As of 12 January 2015, Southeastern operates an hourly service from London Victoria to Dover Priory over the line; Denmark Hill is the only station on the line called at by this service. All other services originate from London Blackfriars and Thameslink Core and call at all stations.
Off-peak / Weekends:
- 2tph West Hampstead Thameslink (London Blackfriars Mon-Fri after 9pm and weekends)
- 1tph London Victoria (Only Calling at Denmark Hill)
- 2tph Sevenoaks via Swanley
- 1tph Dover Priory via Chatham (Only Calling at Denmark Hill)
- 4tph Bedford / Luton
- 3tph Sevenoaks via Swanley
- 1tph Orpington
- Quail Map 5 - England South [page 3] September 2002 (Retrieved 2011-08-30)
- Network Rail (April 2001). South Zone Sectional Appendix. Module SO. p. SO110 1/4. SO/SA/001A.
- Quail Map 5 - England South [page 4] September 2002 (Retrieved 2011-08-30)
- Network Rail (April 2001). South Zone Sectional Appendix. Module SO. p. SO110 1/9. SO/SA/001A.