|Director-General of RTÉ|
4 June 2003 – 20 January 2011
|Preceded by||Bob Collins|
|Succeeded by||Noel Curran|
Cathal Áedán Goan
17 April 1954
Belfast, Northern Ireland
|Spouse(s)||Maighread Ní Dhomhnaill (m. 1983)|
|Alma mater||University College Dublin|
Goan was born in Ardoyne, Belfast. He is an Irish language speaker. He studied Celtic studies at University College Dublin. He joined RTÉ as an archivist in 1979, with RTÉ Radio. He became a producer and senior producer on RTÉ Radio. In 1988, he moved to RTÉ Television and worked on Today Tonight. Remaining in current affairs, he became editor of Cúrsaí, an Irish language television programme about arts and current affairs. He became Editor of Irish Language Programming in 1990.
Four years after being appointed Editor, he was approached to become 'Ceannasaí' of the new Teilifís na Gaeilge. From August 1994, he managed the commencement of the new television channel. After a successful launch of the channel, where award-winning programming was produced, he returned to RTÉ in 2000. He was appointed Director of Television and became a member of the RTÉ Executive Board.
Bob Collins retired as Director-General of RTÉ in 2003 to pursue a career elsewhere. It was announced in July 2003 that Goan would fill this position. He became the Director-General in October 2003. In 2008, Goan had a salary of €380,000, but it was reduced by €66,500. In 2006, he was announced as member of the board of National Concert Hall, and will serve there until May 2011.
After the broadcast of a news item on nude pictures of Taoiseach Brian Cowen, Minister Michael Kennedy called for Goan to "consider his position" as Director-General of RTÉ. Goan also received criticism from Minister Éamon Ó Cuív in February 2010, when Sunday Mass was reduced to being broadcast just once a month on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta.
- Coyle, Colin (7 March 2009). "Ryan Tubridy joins pay-cut volunteers". The Sunday Times. London. Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- Emmet Oliver (4 July 2003). "Cathal Goan appointed RTÉ director general". The Irish Times. Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- O'Neill, Sean; Hamilton, Fiona (24 May 2009). "Profile: Cathal Goan". The Sunday Times. London. Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- "RTÉ Executive Board: Director-General – Cathal Goan". RTÉ Press Centre. Archived from the original on 14 August 2010. Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- "O'Donoghue Announces New Board for the National Concert Hall". Department of Tourism, Culture and Sport. 2 June 2006. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- Caroline O'Doherty (26 March 2009). "Today FM producer brands reaction 'crazy'". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- Drennan, John (14 February 2010). "RTÉ in storm over cuts to 'Irish' Mass". Irish Independent. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
- "Cathal Goan to step down as RTÉ DG". RTÉ Business. 22 July 2010. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- Jason Michael (22 July 2010). "RTÉ director general to step down". The Irish Times. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- "Maighread's way". The Irish Times. 27 November 1998. Retrieved 8 July 2010.