Catherine Cole (born 9 December 1950) is an Australian author and academic. She lives between Australia, South West France and the UK Cole's work in the fields of fiction, poetry, non-fiction and academic writing has been widely published both in Australia in the UK, US, China and Vietnam. Her writing has won, been shortlisted or commended in a range of awards including The Munster Poetry Prize; The Elizabeth Jolley Short Story Prize; Davitt Award for Australian Crime Writing; The Ned Kelly Award; The Peter Blazey Prize for Non-Fiction Manuscript; and The Asher Award Melbourne University 2005 award. Cole also has judged some of Australia's leading writing prizes including the Age Book of the Year; The Barbara Jefferis Award; and The National Jazz Writing Competition.
As a professor of creative writing at both the University of Wollongong and RMIT University, Melbourne and as a senior lecturer at University of Technology, Sydney, Cole has supervised some of Australia's leading and emerging writers in their postgraduate degrees.
Cole began her literary career publishing poetry in a range of Australian poetry journals with the support of her mentor, A.D. Hope- whom she later wrote about in her memoir, The Poet Who Forgot (2008). Her first published prose fiction was short story, followed by the novels Dry Dock (1999), Skin Deep (2005) and then The Grave at Thu Le (2006) which examines French colonialism in Vietnam.
Cole's Private Dicks and Feisty Chicks explores the lure of crime fiction and its increasing popularity across international cultures and was published in 1996.
Her lifelong fascination with Vietnam was further explored in the anthology, The Perfume River– Writing from Vietnam (2010).
Cole, along with Vicki Karaminas and Peter McNeil co-edited Fashion in Fiction, Fashion in Textiles, Television and Film (2009).
List of works
The Rabbit 2014 Animal Studies Journal, 3 (2)
Mother Love 2014 InC. Kennedy (Eds.) Australian Love Stories
Long Live Peace 2010 The Perfume River: An Anthology of Writing From Vietnam
Her Annotated Hair 2009 Trunk: Hair #1
War A Mascara Literary Review, Issue 17 – April 2015
Animal Dreaming Animal Studies Journal. 2 ed. Sydney: Animal Studies Journal, 2013
Carlton Online: Mascara Literary Review, Issue 13, June, 2013 1-2
Jim Morrison - Pere Lachaise "A séance" Tincture. 3 ed. Sydney: Tincture, 2013 4
Leda (vol.6, no.1) Transnational Literature. Adelaide: Flinders University, 2013
Looking for Serge Gainsbourg Online: Mascara Literary Review, Issue 13, June, 2013 1-2
The Poet Who Forgot
Essays and reviews
Diverse Voices in Celebration of Poetry Text : Journal of Writing and Writing Courses April vol.18 #1 2014
Review: Nam Le's "The Boat" 2013 Reading Australia
Review: "Konkretion" by Marion May Campbell Mascara Literary Review #13 2013
Productive creative writers' relationships: a communities-of-practice framework Nelson, A. & Cole, C. New Writing: the international journal for the practice and theory of creative writing 9 #3 2012
History and Post-memory in Contemporary Vietnamese Literature Cole, C. & Berry, M. TEXT: Journal of Writing and Writing Programs 10 Special Issue 2011
Review of "Murdering Stepmothers - The Execution of Martha Rendell" by Anna Haebich Studies in Western Australian History #27 2011
The Program Era: Review by Catherine Cole Text 15 #2 2011
Literary Communities: writers’ practices and networks Cole, C. & Nelson, A. Strange Bedfellows or Prefect Partners Papers: Refereed Conference Papers of the 15th Annual AAWP Conference. Australia: Australian Association of Writing Programs, 2010
Writing in the Contemporary Academy 2009 Second Nature: International Journal of Creative Media #1
Fashion in Fiction: Text and Clothing in Literature, Film and Television 2009 McNeil, P., Karaminas, V. & Cole, C., eds.
S & M Thriller Needs Fleshing Out 2008 The Weekend Australian
How the University Workshop Hinders New Writers from Engaging with Ideas (And what to do about it) 2007 Segue: Writing on Writing: July
Postcard from a Paris Dawn 2007 Australian Author 39 #2
Teaching James Joyce in the Creative Writing Workshop 2007 Eureka Studies in Teaching Short Fiction Vol.7 #2
Henry James, Affect and the Writer/Researcher 2006 Text 10 #2
A Tale of Two Cities 2005 Australian Author 37 #2
The Third and Fourth Countries 2005 Griffith Review #6 Summer
Research 2002 Crime Factory #6
I Wish I'd Written That 2001 Crime Factory #3
Travelling Partners: Using Literary Studies to Support Creative Writing about Real Spaces Conference of the Australian Association of Writing Programs. Eds. Brien D., Cole C., & Freiman M. (Lobb, J.)
McNeil, P., Karaminas, V. & Cole, C. Fashion in Fiction: Text and Clothing in Literature, Film and Television.
- 2015 Inaugural Visiting Writing Fellow, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, China
- 2008 Visiting Fellow, University of East Anglia, United Kingdom
- 2002 Writer in Residence, Keesing Studio, Cite International des Arts, Paris,France
- 2001 Asialink Fellow, The Gioi Publishing, Hanoi, Vietnam
- "The Poet Who Forgot - Book Reviews - Books - Entertainment - smh.com.au". www.smh.com.au. Retrieved 2016-08-14.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (2005-07-06). "A sort of homecoming. Familiar strands in an unfamiliar land". Retrieved 2016-08-14.
- "DRY DOCK - Cathy Cole". 2008-02-07. Retrieved 2016-08-14.
- Cole, Cathy (2002-01-01). Dry dock / Cathy Cole. Potts Point, N.S.W: Duffy & Snellgrove. ISBN 1876631295.
- (https://www.informit.org/researchers/who-is-informit), Informit - RMIT Training PTY LTD (2005-07-01). "A sort of homecoming [Review article.]". Monthly, The (July 2005).
- Cole, Catherine (2005-01-01). The grave at Thu Le / Catherine Cole. Sydney: Pan Macmillan Australia. ISBN 0330421689.
- Cole, Cathy (2002-01-01). Skin deep / Cathy Cole. Potts Point, N.S.W: Duffy & Snellgrove. ISBN 1876631201.
- "Cole, Catherine, Creative Work: e Rabbit, Animal Studies Journal, 3(2), 2014, 57-60. Available at:h p://ro.uow.edu.au/asj/vol3/iss2/10".
- Richardson, Owen. "New voices to the fore in medley of short, sharp and sweet bites". Retrieved 2016-08-14.
- "Inkerman & Blunt » Australian Love Stories". inkermanandblunt.com. Retrieved 2016-08-14.
- "Review: 'The Best Australian Stories 2011'". Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- "The Best Short Stories and Collections of 2010: Part Two". Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- "Book reviews: The Perfume River edited by Catherine Cole. Gay Lynch. Transnational Literature Vol. 3 no. 2, May 2011".
- "Catherine Cole". 2015-04-06. Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- Catherine, Cole, (2013-01-01). "Poem: Animal Dreaming". Animal Studies Journal. 2 (1). ISSN 2201-3008.
- "Catherine Cole". 2013-06-03. Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- admin. "Issue Three Table of Contents | Tincture Journal". Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- Cole, Catherine. "Transnational Literature" (PDF).
- "Catherine Cole". 2013-06-03. Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- Cole, Cathy (2008-01-01). The poet who forgot / Catherine Cole. Crawley, W.A: University of Western Australia Press. ISBN 9781921401046.
- Cole, Cathy (2004-01-01). Private dicks and feisty chicks : an interrogation of crime fiction / [by Cathy Cole]. Fremantle, W.A. : Curtin University Books. ISBN 1920731288.
- "Private Dicks and Feisty Chicks - Fremantle Press". www.fremantlepress.com.au. Retrieved 2016-08-14.
- "Review of Aitken, Boey & Cahill, Contemporary Asian Australian Poets TEXT Vol 18 No 1". www.textjournal.com.au. Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- "The Boat - Reading Australia". Reading Australia. Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- Catherine, Cole, (2013-01-01). "Review: "konkretion" by Marion May Campbell".
- Nelson, Anitra; Cole, Catherine (2012-01-01). "Productive Creative Writers' Relationships: A Communities-of-Practice Framework". New Writing. 9 (3): 396–407. doi:10.1080/14790726.2012.693095.
- Marsha, Berry,; Catherine, Cole, (2011-01-01). "History and postmemory in contemporary Vietnamese literature".
- Catherine, Cole, (2011-01-01). "Review of "Murdering Stepmothers - The Execution of Martha Rendell" by Anna Haebich".
- Catherine, Cole, (2011-01-01). "The Program Era: Review by Catherine Cole".
- "Learning to write - Griffith Review". Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- "The third and fourth countries - Griffith Review". Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- Cole, Cathy (2010-01-01). The perfume river : writing from Vietnam / editor, Catherine Cole. Crawley, W.A: UWA Publishing. ISBN 9781921401480.
- Sussex, Lucy. "The Perfume River: Writing From Vietnam". Retrieved 2016-08-14.
- "Research & Teaching - The First Sun Yat-sen University International Writers' Residency Held | 中山大学 SUN YAT-SEN UNIVERSITY". www.sysu.edu.cn. Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- "University of East Anglia - Visiting Writers".
- "Judges | National Jazz Writing Competition". njwc.extempore.com.au. Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- "Vietnam". Asialink. Retrieved 2016-08-15.