Catherine Millet (French: [mijɛ]; born 1 April 1948 in Bois-Colombes, Hauts-de-Seine) is a French writer, art critic, curator, and founder and editor of the magazine Art Press, which focuses on modern art and contemporary art.
Born in Bois-Colombes, France, she is best known as the author of the 2002 memoir The Sexual Life of Catherine M.; the book details her sexual history, from childhood masturbation to an adult fascination with group sex. The book was reviewed by Edmund White as "the most explicit book about sex ever written by a woman".
In 2008 she published a sequel of sorts called Jour de Souffrance, translated to English in 2009 as Jealousy: The Other Life of Catherine M.
In April 2016, Catherine Millet received the Prix François Morellet from Régine Catin, Laurent Hamon and Philippe Méaille. Awarded during the National Days of Book and Wine (Saumur), in partnership with the Château de Montsoreau-Museum of Contemporary Art, it rewards a personality for his commitment and his writings in favor of contemporary art.
In January 2018 she co-authored a public letter to Le Monde newspaper criticising the #MeToo movement. The letter was signed by over a hundred French women, including actress Catherine Deneuve, and generated considerable controversy.
- Berens, Jessica (2002-05-19). "Interview: Catherine Millet". The Guardian.
- "Prix François Morellet | artpress". artpress (in French). Retrieved 2018-01-22.
- "Catherine Millet (2/5) : La Vie sexuelle de Catherine M." France Culture (in French). Retrieved 2018-01-11.
- "Je regrette beaucoup de ne pas avoir été violée parce que je pourrais témoigner que du viol on s'en sort" (in French). Retrieved 2018-01-11.
- "Full Translation of French Anti-#MeToo Manifesto Signed by Catherine Deneuve". 10 January 2018. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- "After the #MeToo backlash, an insider's guide to French feminism". TheGuardian.com. 14 January 2018.
- "Nomination dans l'ordre des Arts et des Lettres janvier 2016 - Ministère de la Culture et de la Communication". Archived from the original on 2016-06-05. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- Books That Changed My Life PEN World Voices at the New York Public Library May 4, 2008
- Guardian Unlimited Book: Interview, Catherine Millet
- The Actual Lives of Catherine Millet and Robert Storr