April 16, 1912
Manhattan, New York, U.S.
|Died||January 6, 1997 (aged 84)|
Manhattan, New York, U.S.
(m. 1933; died 1993)
|Children||2, including Martin Scorsese|
Catherine Scorsese (née Cappa; April 16, 1912 – January 6, 1997) was an American actress, and the mother of director Martin Scorsese. Of Italian descent, she began acting when her son Martin Scorsese cast her in his film It's Not Just You, Murray!. She frequently played the role of an Italian mother, and is perhaps most well known for her appearance in her son's film Goodfellas. She acted in films other than her son's. She was married to Charles Scorsese. Her father, Martin Cappa, was a stage co-ordinator and her mother, Domenica, was a shop owner. She published a recipe book, Italianamerican: The Scorsese Family Cookbook.
She was born on April 16, 1912. She was the twin of her brother Charles. She also had brothers Salvatore and Andrew and five sisters including Mary and Sarah.
Both of her parents were Sicilian. Cappa grew up in a three-room apartment on Elizabeth Street, on the outer reaches of Manhattan's Little Italy, which was shared with 14 people, including boarders and relatives. In 1933, when she was working as a machinist in the nearby Garment District, she married Luciano known as Charles Scorsese, who also lived on Elizabeth Street and was also employed in the garment industry. The experience of growing up in Little Italy among first- and second-generation Italian Americans had a profound influence on her son Martin, who revisited their attitudes, values and way of life in his 1974 documentary, Italianamerican.
She died on January 6, 1997.
- It's Not Just You, Murray! (1964) – Mother
- Who's That Knocking at My Door (1967) – Mother
- Mean Streets (1973) – Woman on Landing (uncredited)
- Italianamerican (1974) – Herself
- The King of Comedy (1983) – Rupert's Mom
- Easy Money (1983) – Nicky Cerone's mother
- The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984) – (uncredited)
- After Hours (1985) – Elderly lady at the café sitting back to the cashier (uncredited)
- Wise Guys (1986) – Birthday Guest
- Moonstruck (1987) – Customer at Bakery
- Goodfellas (1990) – Mrs. DeVito, Tommy's mother
- The Godfather Part III (1990) – Woman in Cafe #1
- Cape Fear (1991) – Fruitstand Customer
- The Age of Innocence (1993) – (uncredited)
- Men Lie (1994) – Granddaughter witness
- Casino (1995) – Piscano's mother (final film role)
- Casillo, Robert (2006). "The Immigrant Generations: Italianamerican". Gangster Priest: The Italian American Cinema of Martin Scorsese. University of Toronto Press.