Tresa at the press meet of Kalakalappu 2
Catherine Tresa Alexander
Catherine was born to Malayali parents Frank Mario Alexander and Tresa Alexander in Dubai. She did her Class 12 in Dubai and moved to Bengaluru for higher education. She studied for two years in St Joseph's College, Bengaluru.
While studying, she pursued extra-curricular activities. She learned to play piano, and got trained in singing, dancing, ice skating and debating, stating that she believes that she is "good at anything I put my mind to". In Dubai, Catherine was an Emirates Environment volunteer. At the age of 14, Catherine did some amateur modelling for fashion design graduate students. After coming to India, she modelled for Nalli Silks, Chennai Silks, Fast Track, Josco Jewellers and Deccan Chronicle. She has also shot for Srikantadatta Wodeyar's Maharaja Calendar and had participated with Prasad Bidapa in many ramp shows in many cities.
Catherine Tresa made her acting début in 2010 Kannada film Shankar IPS opposite Duniya Vijay. Catherine went on to act in the Malayalam films, The Thriller and Uppukandam Brothers: Back in Action. In 2011, she did a role in the Kannada film Vishnu that she said was "equally opposite to her real life".
It was followed by the Kannada film Godfather opposite Upendra, which was directed by cinematographer turned film-maker Sethu Sriram. Catherine's character in the film was that of an older mentally challenged woman. Her performance earned her her first nomination for an award in the Best Supporting Actress category at the 60th Filmfare Awards South.
She next signed up for Chammak Challo directed by Neelakanta, in which she played "an urbane, bold and dynamic girl". It released in February 2013 and failed at the box office, but she got noticed and received positive reviews. APHerald.com called her "a treat to watch" and 123telugu.com noted that "she has the potential to be a superstar in future if she plays her cards right".
Catherine played one of the female leads in Puri Jagannath's Telugu film Iddarammayilatho. The film released in June 2013 and won her rave reviews. Times of India reported "Catherine Tresa perfectly suits the character of Akanksha". Shirirag.com called her "cigarette smoking hot" while Idlebrain Jeevi in his review noted "with a bit of fine-tuning she can become big in Telugu films".
She next appeared in Paisa by Krishna Vamsi playing a Muslim in the film, "who is sweet, very inhibited and talks a lot with her eyes" and called it "a total contrast to what I play[ed] in Chammak Challo". In 2014, she made her foray into the Tamil film industry with Madras in which she starred opposite Karthi. The second Tamil film is the S Thanu production, Kanithan directed by débutante Santosh in which she will be starring opposite Adharvaa. She has been signed for two Telugu films: Gunasekhar's Rudhramadevi, touted to be the first Indian 3D historic film, and Errabus which is being directed and produced by Dasari Narayana Rao.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2011||Uppukandam Brothers Back in Action||Vinila Sathyaneshan||Malayalam|
|Sarrainodu||MLA Hansitha Reddy||Telugu|
|Nene Raju Nene Mantri||Devika Rani||Telugu|
|Jaya Janaki Nayaka||Herself||Telugu||
Special appearance in the song "A for Apple"
|2019||Vantha Rajavathaan Varuven||Priya||Tamil|
|World Famous Lover||TBA||Telugu||Filming|
Awards and nominations
|2012||Filmfare Awards South||Best Supporting Actress – Kannada||Godfather||Kannada||Nominated|
|2013||SIIMA Award||Best Female Débutante – Telugu||Chammak Challo||Telugu||Nominated|
|2014||Ananda Vikatan||Best Début Actress||Madras||Tamil||Won|
|Edison Awards||Best Début Actress||Won|
|Filmfare Awards South||Best Female Début||Won|
|Best Actress – Tamil||Nominated|
|SIIMA Award||Female Débutante||Won|
|2017||Filmfare Awards South||Best Supporting Actress – Telugu||Nene Raju Nene Mantri||Telugu||Nominated|
- "Catherine Tresa is truly multi-faceted". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Catherine Exclusive Interview". supergoodmovies.com. 11 July 2011.
- "Riding high". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Iddarammayilatho actress Catherine Teresa exclusive interview". Times of India. 17 April 2013. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Catherine Tresa rocks the bikini look!". Southscope.in. 8 August 2012. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Catherine Heroine In S Narayan Movie". Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Delectable Catherine again!". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "THUNDER THIES CATHERINE IS WONDER TOO!". Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Catherine Teresa gushes about Upendra's Godfather". Oneindia. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Interview With Katherine Teresa". Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Chammak Challo Telugu Movie Review, Rating". Apherald.com. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Review : Chammak Challo – Nothing flashy about this". 123telugu.com. 15 February 2013. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Katherine Teresa replaces Richa Allu Arjun's Iddarammayilatho". Oneindia. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Iddarammayilatho Telugu movie review highlights". Times of India. 31 May 2013. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Iddarammayilatho Movie Review". shrirag.com. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Iddarammayilatho review – Telugu cinema – Allu Arjun, Amala Paul & Catherine Tresa". Idlebrain.com. 31 May 2013. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Interview With Catherine Tresa". Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Catherine Tresa cast opposite Karthi". Times Of India. 21 September 2013. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Catherine Tresa to pair with Atharvaa". Times Of India. 20 October 2013. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Catherine in Rudramadevi". Times Of India. 21 October 2013. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- "Glad we finished Rudhramadevi on time: Gunasekhar". The Hindu. 8 September 2014. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Dasari-Vishnu's 'Errabus' releasing on Nov 14th". Indiaglitz.com. 6 September 2014. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Catherine Tresa.|