Catherine of Saxony, Electress of Brandenburg
|Catherine of Saxony|
|Spouse(s)||Frederick II, Elector of Brandenburg|
|Noble family||House of Wettin|
|Father||Frederick I, Elector of Saxony|
|Mother||Catherine of Brunswick-Lüneburg|
|Died||23 August 1476
On 11 June 1441 Catherine married Elector Frederick II of Brandenburg (1413–1471) in Wittenberg. Frederick had earlier asked for Catherine's hand unsuccessfully. The promise of marriage was finally made as part of a contract that settled the conflict between Brandenburg and Saxony over the ownership of Lusatia and sealed an alliance between the two countries. The marriage turned out to be an unhappy one. Frederick had numerous affairs, and his son Erasmus was born out of wedlock.
Catherine had three children with Frederick:
- Dorothea (1446–1519)
- married in 1464 Duke John V of Saxe-Lauenburg (also counted IV; 1439-1507)
- Margaret (born: 1449 or 1450; died: 1489)
- married in 1477 Duke Bogislaw X of Pomerania (1454-1523)
- John (c. 1452-1454)
Catherine of Saxony, Electress of BrandenburgBorn: 1421 Died: 23 August 1476
Title last held byElisabeth of Bavaria
|Electress consort of Brandenburg
11 June 1441 - 1470
Title next held byAnna of Saxony
References and sources
- Karl Florentin Leidenfrost: Churfürst Friedrich II und seine Brüder, Herzog Sigismund und Herzog Wilhelm von Sachsen, oder Geschichte Sachsens vom Jahr 1428–1440, written invitation to celebrate William day, 30 October 1827, Carl Schlotter, Jena, 1827, p. 68.
- Andreas Tacke: Wir wollen der Liebe Raum geben. Konkubinate geistlicher und weltlicher Fürsten um 1500. Wallstein, Göttingen 2006, ISBN 3-8353-0052-0, p. 19.
|This article about a member of the German nobility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|