Catholic Church in Nigeria
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Catholic Church in Nigeria
|Governance||Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria|
|President||Augustine Obiora Akubeze|
|Members||52.6 million (2010)|
|Official website||Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria|
|Part of a series on the|
|Catholic Church by country|
|Part of a series on the|
The Catholic Church in Nigeria is part of the worldwide Catholic Church, under the spiritual leadership of the Pope, the curia in Rome, and the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria (CBCN). The president of the CBCN is Augustine Obiora Akubeze, Archbishop of Benin city.
The Latin and Eastern Catholic Churches comprise the world's largest Christian Church, and its largest religious grouping. In 2005, there were an estimated 19 million baptised Catholics in Nigeria and 52.6 million in 2010.
Nigeria, together with Congo Democratic Republic, boasts of the highest number of priests in Africa. The boom in vocation to the priesthood in Nigeria is mainly in the eastern part (especially among the Igbo ethnic group) which accounts for over 70 percent of the country's Catholic population.
The second papal visit to the country in 1998 witnessed the beatification of Blessed Cyprian Michael Iwene Tansi. Pope John Paul II proclaimed him blessed at Oba, Onitsha Archdiocese, a local Church established by the apostle of eastern Nigerian, Bishop Joseph Shanahan, CSSp.
The official patron saints of Nigeria are: Mary, Queen of Nigeria and Saint Patrick of Ireland.
- 1 List of dioceses
- 2 Episcopal conference
- 3 Catholic traditionalism
- 4 Catholic universities in Nigeria
- 5 Major seminaries in Nigeria
- 6 Minor seminaries in Nigeria
- 7 Nigerians who have been canonized
- 8 Catholic religious congregations founded in Nigeria
- 9 Missionary societies active in Nigeria
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
List of dioceses
|♦Total Priests||4,146 (2004)|
|Major seminaries in Nigeria||6|
|Minor seminaries in Nigeria||20|
|♦Total seminarians||3,755 (2004)|
|References||Italian page for 2004|
Within Nigeria the hierarchy consists of:
Immediately subject to the Holy See:
A more traditionalist subset of the Catholic Church is also present in Nigeria and embodied by the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (Nne Enyemaka Shrine, Umuaka). There also exists a community of the irregular status Society of St. Pius X (Saint Michael's Priory, Enugu).
Catholic universities in Nigeria
- Caritas University, Amorji-Nike
- Godfrey Okoye University, Enugu
- Madonna University (Ihiala), Okija
- Our Saviour Institute of Science and Technology, Enugu
- VUNA, Veritas University Abuja (The Catholic University of Nigeria), Abuja
- Augustine University Ilara
- Pan-Atlantic University, Lagos
Major seminaries in Nigeria
- Seminary of Saints Peter and Paul, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria
- Seminary of All Saints, Uhiele Ekpoma, Edo State, Nigeria
- Bigard Memorial Seminary, Enugu
- St. Thomas Aquinas Major Seminary, Makurdi
- St. Augustine's Major Seminary, Jos
- National Missionary Seminary of St. Paul, Gwagwalada[permanent dead link]
- St Joseph Major Seminary Ikot Ekpene
- Blessed Tansi Major Seminary Onitsha, Anambra State
- St Albert The Great Major Seminary Abeokuta
- St. John of the Cross Spiritual Year Seminary, Ekpoma
- Seat of Wisdom Major Seminary, Owerri
- Seat of Wisdom Major Seminary, Umuahia Campus
- JohnPaul II Major Seminary, Awka
- Good Shepherd Major Seminary, Kaduna
- Claretian Institute of Philosophy, Nekede Owerri
- Spiritan Institute of Theology Attakwu Enugu
- Spiritan Institute of Philosophy, Isienu Nsukka
- Don Bosco Institute of Philosophy Affiliated to Salesian Pontifical University (Rome)
- Dominican Institute
Minor seminaries in Nigeria
- St. Augustine's seminary, Amechi Ezzamgbo, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State
- Queen of Apostles Seminary, Afaha Obong, Abak, Akwa Ibom State
- Immaculate Conception Seminary, Mfamosing, Cross River State
- St. John Vianney Minor Seminary, Barkin-Ladi, Plateau State
- St. James' Junior Seminary, Yandev Gboko
- St. Jude's Minor Seminary, Kuje Abuja
- St Theresa's Minor Seminary Oke-Are Ibadan
- Sacred Hearts Minor Seminary Akure
- St. Clement's Minor Seminary, Adankolo-Lokoja, Kogi State
- St Paul's Seminary Ukpor, Nnewi Anambra State
- All Hallows Seminary, Onitsha Anambra State
- Mercy Seminary, Bende Abia State
- Immaculate Conception Seminary, Ahiaeke Umuahia, Abia State
- St. Dominic Savio Seminary, Akpu, Anambra State
- St John Bosco Seminary, Isuaniocha, Anambra State
- Holy Martyrs of Uganda seminary Effurun, Delta State
- Annunciation Seminary Amaudara, Abia State
- St John-cross minor seminary, Isienu-Nsukka, Enugu state
- St Charles Borromeo seminary, Imiringi, Bayelsa State.
- St Mary's Seminary Umuowa, Orlu, Imo State.
- Bonus Pastor Seminary Osina, Ideato North, Imo State.
- Assumpta Minor Seminary, Owerri Archdiocese.
- Mater Ecclesiae Seminary, Nguru Mbaise, Ahiara Diocese
- St Peter Claver's Seminary Okpala Owerri Archdiocese
- St. Peter's Seminary Ogii, Okigwe Diocese
- Sacred Heart Seminary, Rumuebiekwe Port Hacourt, Port hacourt Diocese
- St. Felix Seminary Ejeme-Anigor, Delta State
Nigerians who have been canonized
- Blessed Cyprian Michael Iwene Tansi, from Anambra State Beatified by Pope John Paul II, 22 March 1998
Catholic religious congregations founded in Nigeria
- Daughters of Divine Love
- New Evangelization Sisters of Mother of Perpetual Help)
- Sons of Mary, Mother of Mercy Congregation
- Daughters of Mary, Mother of Mercy Congregation
- Holy Family Sisters of the Needy
- Missionary Sisters of Divine Mercy, Nnewi, Nigeria. Website: www.divinemercysisters.net
- Sisters of Jesus Crucified, Uratta, Owerri, Imo State
Missionary societies active in Nigeria
- Society of African Missions
- The Spiritans (Congregation of the Holy Spirit, C.S.Sp.)
- The Augustinians (Order of Saint Augustine, O.S.A.)
- Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Apostles
- St. Louis Sisters
- Salesians of Don Bosco Salesians of Don Bosco (SDB)]
- Missionaries of Africa
- Pontifical Mission Societies of Nigeria (PMS Nigeria)
- Aid to the Church in Need
- Missionary Society of St. Paul
- Order of Preachers (Dominicans)
- The Franciscans
- Society of Jesus (Jesuits)
- The Cleratian Missionary Fathers
- The Oblates Of St Joseph
- The Redemptorists
- Daughters of St Paul
- (Missionary Sisters of Divine Mercy P. O. Box 611 Nnewi Nigeria. Cell: +2348033802674)
- Oblates of the Virgin Mary
Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate - Website: www.omiworld.org
- List of Catholic dioceses in Nigeria This page also gives quick access to many internet links to official websites of the Nigerian dioceses.
- List of cathedrals in Nigeria
- List of saints from Africa
- "Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria (CBCN)". www.cbcn-ng.org. Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- Craig Timberg, "Nigeria's Spiritual Rainmaker is Eyed at Vatican," Washington Poet, 17 April 2005, A1
- Pew Research Center: Christian Population as Percentages of total population by country 2010
- Online, Catholic. "Patron Saints: N – Saints & Angels". Catholic Online. Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- Italian WikiPage Chiesa Cattolica in Nigeria statistics from 2004 it:Chiesa cattolica in Nigeria
- "FSSP in Nigeria". www.fsspnigeria.org. Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- "District of Great Britain". District of Great Britain. Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- http://www.sspx.org/regional_sspx_news/africa/nigeria_priory-9-7-2012/nigeria_priory-9-7-2012.htm[permanent dead link]
- "Veritas University Abuja". www.veritas.edu.ng. Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- "Welcome to Pan-Atlantic University". Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- "DON BOSCO INSTITUTE OF PHILOSOPHY, IBADAN – Lumen et Sapientia". Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- "Welcome". Dominican Institute. Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- "Untitled Document". www.afrikaworld.net. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- "Daughters of Divine Love (DDL) website". Archived from the original on 20 February 2014. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- Catholic Secretariat of Nigeria
- Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria
- Catholic News Service of Nigeria
- GCatholic.org Information
- Catholic Hierarchy Alphabetical list of Nigeria dioceses
- Catholic-Hierarchy Nigeria Statistical Table by Diocese\
- Catholic C.H.E.S.S. Project (Catholic Home, Education and Social Support)
- "Agencia Fides" Information Service of the Pontifical Mission Societies since 1927