Church of Our Lady of the Rosary (Doha)
|Rosary Church, Doha|
|Catholic Church of our Lady of the Rosary|
|Location||Abu Hamour, Doha|
|Consecrated||15 March 2008|
|Division||Apostolic Vicariate of Northern Arabia|
|Priest in charge||Fr. Selvaraj Arockiam OFM Cap|
The Catholic Church of Our Lady of the Rosary (Arabic: كنيسة سيدة الوردية) is a Roman Catholic church in Doha, Qatar. It is located, along with churches of other Christian denominations, at the Religious Complex in Abu Hamour. It is the first church built in the country since the Muslim conquests in the 7th century.
The church was constructed at a cost of around $20 million on land donated by the Emir of Qatar, Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani. Due to the laws in Islamic Qatar, the church displays no Christian symbols like crosses, bells, or a steeple on its exterior.
The church was dedicated on 14 March 2008, by Cardinal Ivan Dias in a ceremony attended by Qatari Deputy Prime Minister Abdullah Bin Hamad Al-Attiyah; Archbishop Mounged Al Hachem, the ambassador of the Holy See to the Gulf; Bishop Paul Hinder, Apostolic Vicariate of Arabia; Archbishop Giuseppe Andrea, former nuncio of the Holy See to the region; and several Qatari officials.
The church is part of the Apostolic Vicariate of Northern Arabia and serves around 200,000 Catholics in Qatar, most of them migrant workers from the Philippines, India, South America, Africa, Lebanon and Europe.
- Ramesh Mathew (22 February 2014). "Prince Charles visits churches in Abu Hamour". Gulf Times. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Associated Press (15 March 2008). "First Christian church opens in Qatar". USA Today.
- Khatri, Shabina S. (2008-06-20). "Qatar opens first church, quietly". Al Jazeera English.
- Ayed, Nahlah (2008-03-21). "Faith in the desert: Qatar's first official Catholic church". CBC News.
- Murphy, Caryle (2009-02-09). "For the first time, Christians in Qatar worship in church". The Christian Science Monitor.
- Verma, Sonia (14 March 2008). "First Catholic Church Opens in Qatar, Sparking Fear of Backlash Against Christians". Fox News. Archived from the original on March 16, 2008.
- "First Catholic Church in Arabic country to be dedicated to Mary". Catholic News Agency. 29 February 2008.
- "Re-Organisation of the Vicariates of the Arabian Peninsula". Apostolic Vicariate of Northern Arabia.
- "First church in Qatar has low profile". United Press International. 2008-03-14.
- "Christians shed tears of joy". Gulf Times. 16 March 2008. Archived from the original on March 20, 2008.
- Fran Gillespie (15 March 2008). "Gulf a haven for Christian communities". Gulf Times. Archived from the original on March 20, 2008.
- Ramesh Mathew (15 March 2008). "Praise for Qatar as First Church Is Consecrated". Gulf Times.
- Official website (English)
- Official Arabic website (Arabic)
- Catholic Blog, Our Lady of the Rosary Parish Doha, Qatar