Catholic High School for Boys (Little Rock, Arkansas)
|Catholic High School for Boys|
6300 Father Tribou St.
|Motto||Virtus in Veritate (Latin)|
(Manliness in Truth)
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Founder||Bishop John B. Morris|
|Sister school||Mount St. Mary Academy|
|NCES School ID||00047854|
|Rector||Msgr. Lawrence Frederick|
|Accreditation||Arkansas Nonpublic School Accrediting Association|
|Affiliation||Roman Catholic Diocese of Little Rock|
|Football stadium||War Memorial Stadium|
|Director of College Counseling||Fred Baker|
|College attendance rate||98%|
The Catholic High School for Boys mascot is The Rockets, with purple and gold serving as its school colors.
The Little Rock Catholic Rockets compete in the 7A Classification, which is the state's largest classification, administered by the Arkansas Activities Association. The Rockets compete in the 7A/6A Central Conference. Interscholastic activities include: football, golf, basketball, bowling, cross country running, soccer, swimming and diving, wrestling, track and field, and baseball.
The Rockets have enjoyed numerous state championships in its history including: Baseball: 2 state titles in 1971 and 1972
- Football: The Rockets football team are 2-time state football champions (1984, 1985).
- Golf: The boys golf team are 8-time state golf champions (1964, 1965, 1967, 1985, 1989, 1990, 1991, 2006).
- Swimming and diving: The Rockets swim teams are 11-time state swimming champions (1962, 1977, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1989, 2002, 2003, 2004).
- Soccer: The soccer team are 5-time 7A classification state soccer champions (2002, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011).
- Wrestling: The wrestling team are 1-time 7A/6A state wrestling champions (2014).
- Tennis: The boys tennis team are 15-time state tennis champions (1968, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1980, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1992, 1999, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Basketball: The basketball team won the Arkansas 7A State Championship in 2008.
Clubs and traditions
In addition to athletic competition, Catholic sponsors a JROTC unit, which participates in: Drill, Physical Fitness, Academic, and Cyber Patriot competitions, as well as participating in Quiz Bowl, debate and speech competitions. Clubs and organizations include Student Council, REACH, and honor societies such as Beta Club and the National Honor Society.
- MCJROTC: The MCJROTC unit was founded by Major General Sidney S. McMath (USMC), former Governor of Arkansas, on 27 November 1967, when General Clifford B. Drake (USMC) official presented the unit colors during Charter Day ceremonies, becoming the third commissioned JROTC program in the nation. The early cadets who attended the program were refereed to as "Sid's Kids" Marine instructors are Sgt. Maj. R.S. Jernigan (Ret. USMC) and Col. C. Johnson (Ret. USMC). The unit contains female cadets from Mount St. Mary Academy,. The unit as a whole receiving many awards, including:
Designated Naval Honor School, Program with Distinction (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) Marine Corps Reserve Association, Region V Best Marine Corps Unit (2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016) JROTC National Physical Fitness Champions ( 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017) JROTC Academic Bowl, Best MCJROTC Academic team (2016)
The JROTC program sponsors many different teams, such as: Academic, Armed Drill, Armed Exhibition Drill, Cyber Patriot, and Physical Fitness.
- The Rockets are the 2009 Quiz Bowl state champions.
- Dr. John C. York (Class of 1967) Cancer researcher and Co-Chairman, San Francisco 49ers
- French Hill (Class of 1975), United States Congressman
- Gil Gerard (Class of 1960) Actor and star of television's Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
- Herb Vincent (Class of 1979), Associate Commissioner for Communications for the Southeastern Conference
- Stephen Jones (Class of 1983) Former Arkansas Razorbacks football player, son of Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and current Executive Vice President, CEO, and Director of Player Personnel for the team
- Jerry Jones Jr. (Class of 1988) Son of Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Chief Sales and Marketing Officer and Executive Vice President of the
- "Search for Private Schools – School Detail for Catholic High School For Boys". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- "Profile" (PDF). Little Rock Catholic High School. Retrieved 9 July 2017.
- "School Profile, Catholic High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved February 25, 2014.