Catholic Junior College
|Catholic Junior College|
Maktab Rendah Katolik
129 Whitley Road
|Motto||In Veritate et Caritate|
(In Truth and Love)
|Principal||Mdm Chua Suan Gek Phyllis|
|Campus size||7 hectares (17 acres)|
Catholic Junior College (CJC) (Chinese: 公教初级学院) is a junior college in Singapore, offering a two-year course for pre-university students leading to the Singapore-Cambridge GCE Advanced Level examination. Founded in 1975, Catholic Junior College was the third junior college to be established in Singapore.
Catholic Junior College was founded in 1975 by the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore, Michel Olçomendy in an effort to centralise the pre-university education provided by the different Catholic schools, a move in the nation's adoption of the junior college system. At current standings, Catholic Junior College is regarded as the first government-aided junior college in the island city-state.
|Name of Principal||Years Served|
|Patrick Loh||1975 - 1978|
|Joseph Kiely, FSC||1979 - 1987|
|Deirdre O'Loan, IJ||1988 - 1994|
|Maria Lau, IJ||1995 - 2001|
|Paul A Rogers, FSC||2002 - 2009|
|Christine Anne Kong||2010 – 2016|
|Chua Suan Gek Phyllis||2017 – Present|
School Identity and Culture
The principal symbol of Catholic Junior College is the Holy Spirit. The Spirit of God, depicted by the dove and the cross, guides the College in every word, thought and deed. It represents the belief of the students of Catholic Junior College (or CJCians) upholding the motto ‘In Truth and Love’, in and beyond the College.
The flame insignia in the college crest reinforces the symbol of the light of God, knowledge and wisdom The College crest, in the shape of a golden shield, depicts the determination to uphold the college spirit.and acts as a reminder to CJCians of the pursuit of excellence in learning and living. The school crest was redesigned and unveiled in 2013.
The College motto "In Veritate et Caritate" translates as "In Truth and Love" 
It meant that the concern for men inspires the search for truth. It speaks of the college's mission to nurture students who will be thinkers and leaders that uphold integrity, and are driven by the desire to serve and improve the world around them.
Uniform & Attire
Catholic Junior College's uniform is themed in a light shade of blue. The uniform was designed by the first batch of CJ Students. Male students wear a plain light blue shirt with light blue pants. Female students wear a light blue blouse with light blue skirts, with or without shorts underneath. A collar pin bearing the flame insignia of the College is worn on the left collar of the uniform. Navy blue blazers and tie is worn on important ceremonies and events.
Admission & affiliation
Students from the affiliated institutions are entitled to two additional point reduction to their L1R5 raw scores for their GCE Ordinary Level examination results when applying for admission into CJC as the first choice (a maximum of 4 reduction points to L1R5 score is allowed for JC Joint Admission Exercise, with the exception for appeals through Language Elective Programmes to participating pre-university centres, which allows up to a maximum of 6 reduction points).
Catholic Junior College is located off Whitley Road.
Catholic Junior College offers Arts and Science courses that leads up to the Singapore-Cambridge GCE Advanced Level examinations.
|H1 Level||H2 Level||H3 Level|
Co-curricular activities (CCAs)
The list of co-curricular activities (or CCAs) offered at Catholic Junior College are listed below.
|Visual & Performing Arts||Physical Sports||Clubs and Societies|
- Tan Chorh Chuan, President, National University of Singapore
- Jessica Tan Soon Neo, Member of Parliament for East Coast GRC
- Phua Siok Gek Cynthia, Former Member of Parliament for Aljunied GRC
- Chia Yong Yong, Singaporean lawyer, disability advocate and a Nominated Member of Parliament of Singapore
- Paulin Tay Straughan, Professor of Sociology and Vice Dean, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, National University of Singapore; Nominated Member of Parliament
- Tan Cheng Han, former Dean, Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore
- Tan Kheng Hua, actress, comedian, playwright
- Christine Tan, CNBC anchor
- Tay Ping Hui, MediaCorp artiste
- Jacelyn Tay, MediaCorp artiste
- Madeleine Lim, award-winning filmmaker, producer, director, cinematographer and LGBTQ activist
- Colette Wong, Fox Sports Asia presenter
- Kevin Martens Wong, writer, linguist and director of Kodrah Kristang
- Loretta Lopez, MONEY FM 89.3 Assistant Programme Director & Presenter
- John Yap, Co-Founder, Awfully Chocolate
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Catholic Junior College.|
- "Our History - Catholic Junior College". cjc.moe.edu.sg. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- "Press Releases". www.moe.gov.sg. Retrieved 2016-11-22.
- "Our Identity". cjc.moe.edu.sg. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- "Refreshed Crest". Catholic Junior College. Ministry of Education. Retrieved 25 March 2019.
- "Student Conduct". cjc.moe.edu.sg. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- "NANYANG JUNIOR COLLEGE - JAE Information Booklet 2016" (PDF). nanyangjc,moe.edu.sg.
- "Home Page". cjc.moe.edu.sg. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- "Experience - CCAs". cjc.moe.edu.sg. Retrieved 2017-12-02.