Catholic Junior College
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Catholic Junior College
Maktab Rendah Katolik
|129 Whitley Road, Singapore 297822
|Motto||In Veritate et Caritate
(In Truth and Love)
|Principal||Mdm Chua Suan Gek Phyllis|
|Campus size||7 hectares (17 acres)|
Blue, White & Gold
Catholic Junior College (CJC) is a junior college in Singapore, offering a two-year course for pre-university students leading up to GCE 'A' Level examination. Founded in 1975, Catholic Junior College was the third junior college established in Singapore.
Catholic Junior College was founded in 1975 by the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore, Michel Olçomendy in an effort to coordinate the pre-university education provided by the different Catholic schools, and provide all Catholic schools with pre-university classes.
|Name of Principal||Years Served|
|Bro Patrick Loh||1975 - 1978|
|Bro. Joseph Kiely, FSC||1979 - 1987|
|Sr Deirdre O'Loan, IJ||1988 - 1994|
|Sr Maria Lau, IJ||1995 - 2001|
|Bro Paul A Rogers, FSC||2002 - 2009|
|Mrs Christine Anne Kong||2010 – 2016|
|Mdm Chua Suan Gek Phyllis||2017 – Present|
School Identity and Culture
The principal symbol of Catholic Junior College is the Holy Spirit. The Spirit of God, depicted by the dove, guides the College in every word, thought and deed.The Spirit helps keep Christ alive, symbolised by the cross, in the CJC community so that we act ‘In Truth and Love’, in and beyond the College.
The College Flame reinforces the idea that the light of God, knowledge and wisdom must lead the way in doing that. The Crest, in the shape of a shield, depicts the armour needed to guard ourselves from what is contrary to God’s ways. It is clad in gold to signify how we treasure the College’s Catholic identity and to remind us of the pursuit of excellence in learning and living.
The College motto, IN VERITATE ET CARITATE, translates as "In Truth and Love"
It meant that the concern for men inspires the search for truth. It speaks of the college's mission to nurture students who will be thinkers and leaders that uphold integrity, and are driven by the desire to serve and improve the world around them.
The College Flag provides a setting for the College Crest - the two shades of blue that are used in the college uniform and blazer. The Crest is placed at the intersection of Y or gamma which is the Greek letter for ‘c’ and is also taken as the form of the Christian Cross. The Flag provides a powerful rallying point for students and the broader College Community in the distinctive College colours.
Catholic Junior College is affiliated to all Catholic secondary schools in Singapore, namely: Assumption English School, Catholic High School, CHIJ Katong Convent, CHIJ Secondary (Toa Payoh), CHIJ St. Joseph's Convent, CHIJ St. Nicholas Girls' School, CHIJ St. Theresa's Convent, Hai Sing Catholic School, Holy Innocents' High School, Maris Stella High School, Montfort Secondary School, St. Anthony's Canossian Secondary School, St. Gabriel's Secondary School, St. Joseph's Institution and St. Patrick's School. All students from these secondary schools are allowed a two-point deduction from their score at the GCE Ordinary Level examinations if they choose to enter this school.
- Niche CCAs: Choir, Dance, Fencing, Gymnastics, Shooting, Symphonic Band
- Physical CCAs (Sports & Games): Badminton, Basketball, Canoeing, Cross-Country, Fencing, Floorball, Football, Gymnastics, Rugby, Judo, Netball, Ten Pin Bowling, Shooting, Swimming, Volleyball, Tennis, Track & Field
- Aesthetics CCAs (Performing Arts): Choir, Dance, Drama (English), Drama (Chinese), Guitar Ensemble, Guzheng Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Music Ministry (only as 2nd CCA)
- Clubs & Societies: Editorial & Magazine Club, Environment Science Society, Film Sound and Video Club, First Aid Club, Interact Club, Legion of Mary (only as 2nd CCA), Nexus Club, Mathematics Society, Strategy Games Club, Speakers' Ink, Political Science Society, Science Honours Society, St. Vincent de Paul
- External Activities: Golf, Uniformed Groups, Singapore Youth Flying Club
- Student Council
- Tan Chorh Chuan, President, National University of Singapore
- Jessica Tan Soon Neo, Member of Parliament for East Coast GRC
- Phua Siok Gek Cynthia, Former Member of Parliament for Aljunied GRC
- Chia Yong Yong, Singaporean lawyer, disability advocate and a Nominated Member of Parliament of Singapore
- Paulin Tay Straughan, Professor of Sociology and Vice Dean, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, National University of Singapore; Nominated Member of Parliament
- Tan Cheng Han, former Dean, Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore
- Leo Yip, Permanent Secretary for Home Affairs, Ministry of Home Affairs
- Tan Kheng Hua, actress, comedian, playwright
- Christine Tan, CNBC anchor
- Tay Ping Hui, MediaCorp artiste
- Jacelyn Tay, MediaCorp artiste
- Madeleine Lim, award-winning filmmaker, producer, director, cinematographer and LGBTQ activist
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Catholic Junior College.|