Cathy Bakewell, Baroness Bakewell of Hardington Mandeville
The Baroness Bakewell of Hardington Mandeville
|South Somerset District Councillor|
for Coker Ward
|Assumed office |
11 May 2015
|Member of the House of Lords|
|Assumed office |
15 October 2013
Catherine Mary Green
7 March 1949
Bristol, England, UK
|Political party||Liberal Democrats|
Catherine Mary Bakewell, Baroness Bakewell of Hardington Mandeville, MBE (born 7 March 1949), known as Cathy Bakewell, is a British politician who is a Liberal Democrat member of the House of Lords and an elected District Councillor for the Coker ward of South Somerset.
Early life and career
Bakewell was born Catherine Mary Green in Bristol in 1949. Bakewell joined the Liberal Party in 1974. She became the Yeovil Constituency Secretary and then went on to become to be an assistant to Yeovil Member of parliament Paddy Ashdown. Bakewell worked with Ashdown for twenty years eventually running the Leader's Office after the 1997 elections.
Bakewell was first elected to Somerset County Council in 1993, serving as Leader from 2001 to 2007, standing down in 2013. Bakewell was a member of the 2007 Councillors Commission which investigated the incentives and barriers to serving on Local Authorities.
On 9 September 2013, Bakewell was created a life peer as Baroness Bakewell of Hardington Mandeville, of Hardington Mandeville in the County of Somerset, taking her title for the local village of Hardington Mandeville where she lives. She made her maiden speech in the House of Lords that November during a debate on housing, the speech addressed affordable housing and the impact of the under-occupancy charge. She served as a director for the Leadership Centre for Local Government.
- "Messages and Memories". Remembering St. Louis, Glastonbury Convent. 31 October 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "Councillor Catherine Mary Bakewell". duedil.com. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- "Cathy Bakewell". Liberal Democrats. 22 January 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- Ashdown, Paddy (2010). A Fortunate Life: The Autobiography of Paddy Ashdown. Aurum Press. ISBN 978-1845136475.
- "So, who are these new Liberal Democrat peers, then?". Liberal Democrat Voice. 1 August 2013. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "South Somerset District Council Councillor Cathy Bakewell to become Baroness". South Somerset District Council. Archived from the original on 14 December 2013. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "Coker councillor Cathy Bakewell "thrilled" to be named as Baroness". Western Gazette. 2 August 2013. Archived from the original on 14 December 2013. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- "Councillors Commission begins work (LGiU)" (PDF). Local Government Information Unit. 10 April 2007. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "Councillor details - Councillor Cathy Bakewell". South Somerset District Council. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "Baroness Bakewell makes maiden speech in Lords". thisisthewestcountry.co.uk. 1 November 2013. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "No. 60624". The London Gazette. 11 September 2013. p. 17949.
- "Cllr Cathy Bakewell". South Somerset Council. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- "Who we are". Leadership Cntre. Archived from the original on 20 March 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
|This biography of a life peer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|