Cathy Fink & Marcy Marxer
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Cathy Fink (born August 9, 1953) and Marcy Marxer (b. February 25, 1956) perform together as a folk music duo. They have been musical partners for more than 20 years. Over those years, they released several albums for both children and adults, won two Grammy Awards, produced records for artists ranging from Tom Paxton to Patsy Montana, wrote more than 200 songs and toured extensively.
Cathy Fink was born in Maryland, but began her musical career in Canada in the early 1970s, busking and playing folk music in coffeehouses. A singer, guitarist, banjo player and yodeler, she made her recording debut in 1975 with Duck Donald, with whom she toured for five years and recorded three albums.
Marcy Marxer grew up in Swartz Creek, Michigan and learned to play guitar, mandolin, hammered dulcimer and button accordion while still in high school. She went to work for General Motors but continued to play at every opportunity. In 1978, after receiving theater training at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts and the Ringling Brothers Clown College, she devoted herself to music full-time.
The two met in 1980, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, at the Mariposa Folk Festival. By 1983 they had begun writing songs together and appearing on each other's albums. Soon after, they began performing together, often in children's concerts. In 1989, they released a self-titled album, and the partnership became complete.
In the years since, the duo has released a number of albums, including Nobody Else Like Me, A Voice in the Wind and Changing Channels. Their CD Postcards won a Grammy nomination in 2003 for "Best Traditional Folk Album." After several Grammy nominations, they captured their first Grammy Award in 2004 for their children's album Bon Appetit and won their second in 2005 as producers and artists for cELLAbration: A Tribute to Ella Jenkins.
Individually and together, they've produced more than a dozen albums for other artists, served as studio musicians, and created a series of instructional materials and videos ranging from guitar and ukulele for kids to how to sing harmony. They've performed at the White House Easter Egg Roll, appeared on National Public Radio, won several songwriting awards and have been acknowledged for their work with children in the Congressional Record.
Cathy & Marcy have been nominated for 14 Grammy Awards. They won the Grammy for “cELLAbration: a Tribute to Ella Jenkins” in 2003 and for “ Bon Appétit!” in 2004.
- DANCIN’ IN THE KITCHEN: SONGS FOR ALL FAMILIES, Community Music, 2015
- THINGS ARE COMIN’ MY WAY (Marcy Marxer), Community Music, 2012
- ROCKIN’ THE UKE, Community Music, 2011
- SING TO YOUR BABY – Sing Plays and Love Songs for New Families, Community Music, 2011 Peter E. Randall Publishing, 2012
- THE GREAT AMERICAN FOLKSONG w/CHILDREN’S CHORUS OF WASHINGTON, SonoLuminus, 2011
- “TRIPLE PLAY EP”, Community Music, 2010
- BANJO TO BEATBOX EP with SPECIAL GUEST CHRISTYLEZ BACON, Community Music, 2009
- OLD TIME BANJO FESTIVAL, Rounder, 2007
- BANJO TALKIN’, Rounder, 2007
- SCAT LIKE THAT: A MUSICAL WORD ODYSSEY, Rounder, 2005
- cELLAbration: A Tribute to Ella Jenkins, Smithsonian Folkways, 2004
- BON APPÉTIT! Musical Food Fun, Rounder, 2003
- POCKET FULL OF STARDUST, Rounder, 2002
- POSTCARDS, Community Music, 2002
- ALL WOUND UP/CATHY & MARCY & BRAVE COMBO, Rounder, 2001
- PILLOW FULL OF WISHES, Rounder, 2000
- CHANGING CHANNELS, Rounder, 1998
- VOICE ON THE WIND, Rounder, 1997
- BLANKET FULL OF DREAMS, Rounder, 1996
- A PARENT’S HOME COMPANION, Rounder, 1995
- NOBODY ELSE LIKE ME, A&M, 1994, Community Music, 2012
- HELP YOURSELF, A&M, 1993, Community Music, 2012
- A CATHY & MARCY COLLECTION FOR KIDS, Rounder, 1994
- AIR GUITAR, HIGH WINDY, 1994, Community Music, 2010
- BANJO HAIKU, Community Music, 1992
- THE RUNAWAY BUNNY/GOODNIGHT MOON, Harper Collins, 1989
- CATHY FINK & MARCY MARXER, Sugar Hill Records, 1989
- BLUE ROSE, Sugar Hill Records, 1988
- WHEN THE RAIN COMES DOWN, Rounder, 1987
- JUMP CHILDREN, Rounder, 1986
- THE LEADING ROLE, Rounder Records, 1985
- GRANDMA SLID DOWN THE MOUNTAIN, Rounder, 1984
- DOGGONE MY TIME, Rooster Records, 1983, Community Music, 1999