This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Cathy O'Neil at Google Cambridge in 2016
|Alma mater||UC Berkeley|
|Awards||Alice T. Schafer Prize in 1993,|
MAA's Euler Book Prize
|Thesis||Jacobians of Curves of Genus One|
|Doctoral advisor||Barry Charles Mazur|
Catherine ("Cathy") Helen O'Neil is an American mathematician, data scientist, and author. She is the founder of the blog mathbabe.org and has written books on data science, including Weapons of Math Destruction. She was the former Director of the Lede Program in Data Practices at Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism's Tow Center and was employed as Data Science Consultant at Johnson Research Labs.
Education and career
O'Neil attended UC Berkeley as an undergraduate, received a Ph.D. in mathematics from Harvard University in 1999, and afterward held positions in the mathematics departments of MIT and Barnard College, doing research in arithmetic algebraic geometry. She left academia in 2007, and worked for four years in the finance industry, including two years at the hedge fund D. E. Shaw. After becoming disenchanted with the world of finance, O'Neil became involved with the Occupy Wall Street movement, participating in its Alternative Banking Group. In 2016, her book Weapons of Math Destruction was published and long-listed for the National Book Award for Nonfiction.
She founded O'Neil Risk Consulting & Algorithmic Auditing, which "helps companies and organizations manage and audit their algorithmic risks."
- With Rachel Schutt, Doing Data Science: Straight Talk from the Frontline (O'Reilly 2013, ISBN 1449358659).
- On Being a Data Skeptic (O'Reilly Media 2013, ISBN 1491947233).
- Weapons of Math Destruction (Crown 2016, ISBN 0553418815).
- "Talk by Cathy O'Neil at Columbia Institute for Data Sciences & Engineering". Retrieved 2014-02-26.
- "PBS Interview". Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Catherine Helen O'Neil, Mathematics Genealogy.
- "Strata conference speakers bios". Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Library of Economics and Liberty interview". Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Josh Harkinson (Dec 13, 2011), Meet the Financial Wizards Working With Occupy Wall Street, Mother Jones magazine
- 2016 National Book Award Longlist, Nonfiction, National Book Foundation
- The National Book Awards Longlist: Nonfiction, The New Yorker, September 14, 2016
- Gallian, Joseph A. (2019-06-01). "The First Twenty-Five Winners of the AWM Alice T. Schafer Prize". Notices of the American Mathematical Society. 66 (6): 1. doi:10.1090/noti1892. ISSN 0002-9920.
- "mathbabe.org about page". Retrieved 25 July 2013.