|Unit system||traditional Chinese unit|
|1 斤 in ...||... is equal to ...|
|Chinese unit|| 16 兩|
10 两 (in Mainland China)
|Mainland China||0.5 kg|
|Hong Kong||0.60478982 kg|
|1 imp 斤 in ...||... is equal to ...|
| Hong Kong|
The catty, kati or 斤, pronounced as jīn in Mandarin and gan in Cantonese, is a traditional Chinese unit of mass used across East and Southeast Asia, notably for weighing food and other groceries. Related units include the picul, equal to 100 catties, and the tael (also spelled tahil, in Malay/Indonesian), which is 1⁄16 of a catty. A stone is a former unit used in Hong Kong equal to 120 catties and a gwan (鈞) is 30 catties. Catty or kati is still used in Southeast Asia as a unit of measurement in some contexts especially by the significant Overseas Chinese populations across the region, particularly in Malaysia and Singapore.
The catty is traditionally equivalent to around 1+1⁄3 pound avoirdupois, formalised as 604.78982 grams in Hong Kong, 604.5 grams historically in Vietnam, 604.79 grams in Malaysia and 604.8 grams in Singapore. In some countries, the weight has been rounded to 600 grams (Taiwan, Japan, Korea and Thailand). In mainland China, the catty (more commonly translated as jin within China) has been rounded to 500 grams and is referred to as the market catty (市斤 shìjīn) in order to distinguish it from the "common catty" (公斤 gōngjīn), or kilogram, and it is subdivided into 10 taels rather than the usual 16.
- Caddy (disambiguation)
- Chinese units of measurement
- Japanese units of measurement
- Korean units of measurement
- Taiwanese units of measurement
- Vietnamese units of measurement
- Tea caddy
- "Weights and Measures Ordinance". Laws of Hong Kong.
- "Vietnam, weights". Historical Vietnamese measurements of mass.
- "Weights and Measures Act 1972". Laws of Malaysia. Archived from the original on 2014-02-01.
- "Weights and Measures Act". Statutes of the Republic of Singapore.
- Weights and Measures in Use in Taiwan Archived 2010-12-29 at the Wayback Machine from the Republic of China Yearbook – Taiwan 2001.
- "Regulation on Approval and Notification of Herbal (crude) Medicinal Preparations, Etc". Ministry of Food and Drug Safety.