Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary
|Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary|
|Bheemeshwari Wildlife Sanctuary|
IUCN category IV (habitat/species management area)
A view of Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary during summer
|Area||526.96 km2 (203.46 sq mi)|
|Governing body||Government of India,
Karnataka Forest Department
Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary is a protected area located in the Mandya, Chamarajanagar and Ramanagar districts of Karnataka. The Cauvery River passes through its midst. It was established in 1987. The Sanctuary spans an area of 1027.535 square kilometers. On its east, it adjoins Dharmapuri forest division of Tamil Nadu state.
It has an semi-arid climate.Where the average temperatures are a minimum of 25 °C.The rainfall is between 60–100 cm.
Biology and ecology
The main species of trees that can be found in this sanctuary are Terminalia Arjuna and Jambul.The other species of trees that are found are Tamarindus indica, Mangifera indica, Hardwickia binata, Acacia amata and several species of acacia, feronia and ficus trees.
It is home to mammals like elephant, wild boar, leopard, dhole, spotted deer, barking deer, four-horned antelope, chevrotain, common langur, bonnet macaque, honey badger (ratel) malabar giant squirrel, smooth-coated otter and Grizzled giant squirrel.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary.|
- "Cauvery Sanctuary". protectedplanet.net.
- "Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary official website".
- Shenoy,K; Varma, S (2006). "Factors determining habitat choice of the smooth-coated otter, Lutra perspicillata in a South Indian river system - ePrints@IISc". current science. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- N,Bhaskaran; K,Senthilkumar; M,Saravanan. "A new site record of the Grizzled Giant Squirrel Ratufa macroura (Pennant, 1769) in the Hosur forest division, Eastern Ghats, In". Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- S.Gubbi,V.Reddy,H.Nagashettihalli,R.Bhat and M.D.Madhusudhan (2014) "Photographic Records of the Ratel Mellivora capensis from the Southern Indian Sate of Karnataka" published in: Small Carnivore Conservation, Vol.50, July 2014
- Shenoy, Kausalya and Varma, Surendra and Devi Prasad, KV (2006) Factors determining habitat choice of the smooth-coated otter, Lutra perspicillata in a South Indian river system. In: Current Science, 91 (5). pp. 637-643