Caverns of the Snow Witch
The original Puffin Books cover of Caverns of the Snow Witch
|Cover artist||Les Edwards (UK)
R. Courtney (USA)
Location: Allansia, Titan
|Published||Puffin (UK): 1984
Dell/Laurel-Leaf (USA): 1985
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
ISBN 1-84046-432-1 (Wizard)
Caverns of the Snow Witch single-player roleplaying gamebook, written by Ian Livingstone, illustrated by Gary Ward and Edward Crosby and originally published in 1984 by Puffin Books. It was later republished by Wizard Books in 2003. It forms part of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy series. It is the 9th in the series in the original Puffin series (ISBN 0-14-031830-5) and 10th in the modern Wizard series (ISBN 1-84046-432-1).
The story was first published in Warlock: The Fighting Fantasy Magazine as two smaller, separate adventures. Livingstone later combined both adventures and expanded the plot to create the final story.
Caverns of the Snow Witch is a fantasy scenario in which the hero, a guard on a merchant's caravan in frozen Allansia, undertakes to hunt down a killer beast; encounters include hill trolls, Neanderthals, and the Snow Witch's crystal warriors.
The story takes the form of a campaign: the player must first locate the correct path to the lair of the Snow Witch, defeat the villain and her minions, and finally after escaping with allies find a means of overcoming a potentially fatal curse.
In other media
- Schick, Lawrence (1991). Heroic Worlds: A History and Guide to Role-Playing Games. Prometheus Books. p. 366. ISBN 0-87975-653-5.
- "Review of Caverns of the Snow Witch - RPGnet". Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "SFandFantasy.co.uk - Caverns of the Snow Witch. 2003". Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Caverns of the Snow Witch - RPG Geek". Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Tin Man Games – Caverns of the Snow Witch". Retrieved 20 August 2014.