Cayan Tower in May 2013
Location within United Arab Emirates
|Location||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
|Tip||306.4 metres (1,005 ft)|
|Floor count||73 (5 below ground)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Skidmore, Owings and Merrill|
|Developer||Cayan Real Estate Investment & Development|
|Structural engineer||Skidmore, Owings and Merrill|
Cayan Tower, known as Infinity Tower before it was inaugurated, is a 306-metre-tall (1,004 ft), 73-story skyscraper in Dubai, United Arab Emirates by Cayan Real Estate Investment and Development. The tower is designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill SOM architectural group, the same group who did the concept design for the Burj Khalifa, also in Dubai, and Trump Tower in Chicago. Upon its opening on 10 June 2013, the tower became world's tallest high-rise building with a twist of 90 degrees, this has been surpassed by the Shanghai Tower.
Cayan Tower's apartments are designed with reconstituted wooden floors, Chinese synthetic marble counter tops, and kitchen fixtures. The tower also includes a five-story parking garage behind it. The Cayan Tower has house financing options available for those residents who may want to lease out their weekend or holiday condo. The rooms of the tower are designed in such a way that it wouldn't be affected by direct sunlight due to titanium-colored metal panels on cast-in-place concrete columns aided with repetitive staggered screen panels to stop penetrating sunlight from disturbing the residents of the unit. The lack of balcony space helps with the feeling of enclosure and passive solar shading.
The tower's construction was on hold for a year and a half after the foundation site of the tower was flooded when the wall that held back the Dubai Marina was breached on 7 February 2007. Witnesses described a loud cracking sound, followed by an inflow of sand and water. The project resumed construction in July 2008.
Official launch ceremony
The Cayan Tower was inaugurated with fireworks accompanied with laser light display on the tower on 10 June 2013 and become the world's tallest twisted tower, surpassing Turning Torso. The tower was renamed from Infinity Tower to Cayan Tower as the developer of the tower said:
There are more than one tower with the name Infinity and we wanted something different, We are very attached with this unique project and it was a very conscious decision we took. We know there won’t be any Cayan Tower in the world and this will be the only one.
- Dubai Marina
- List of tallest buildings in Dubai
- List of tallest residential buildings in the world
- List of tallest buildings in the United Arab Emirates
- List of twisted buildings
- "Home: Infinity - Living by Design". Infinitytower.com. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- CTBUH. "Cayan Tower Facts | CTBUH Skyscraper Database". 25.08688 55.14501: Skyscrapercenter.com. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "CAYAN". CAYAN. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Infinity: Living By Design". Infinity Tower Homepage. Cayan. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Snopes Article on collapse of wall".
- "Lucky escape for 100 workers". Gulf News. Al Nisr Publishing LLC. 2007-02-08. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- "Beyond Infinity: World's tallest twisted tower in Dubai gets new name". Emirates 24/7. 2013-06-11. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- Martin Croucher. "Dubai Marina gets new twist as residential tower opens - The National". Thenational.ae. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Infinity Tower, Dubai.|