Cayetano Rivera Ordóñez
|Birth name||Antonio Cayetano Rivera Ordóñez|
|Born||January 13, 1977|
|Début novillero||26 March 2005 (debut con caballos)|
|Alternativa||9 September 2006|
|• Godfather||Francisco Rivera Ordóñez|
|Confirmación||15 September 2006|
He belongs to a long line of famous bullfighters: his great-grandfather was Cayetano Ordóñez, who fought under the name 'El Niño de la Palma', and was the inspiration for the young matador in Ernest Hemingway's novel The Sun Also Rises. His grandfather, the great matador Antonio Ordóñez, was a friend of Hemingway and of Orson Welles. Antonio is the subject, with Cayetano's torero great-uncle Luis Miguel Dominguín, of Hemingway's book The Dangerous Summer. His father Paquirri was killed by the bull Avispado when Cayetano was 8. His elder brother is the matador Francisco Rivera Ordóñez.
Rivera made his novice debut 'con picadores' on March 26, 2005. On September 9, 2006, he took his 'alternativa' to become a full matador in the bullring with which his family is most associated in Ronda with his brother, Francisco, as his 'padrino.' He cut four ears of the two bulls he fought that day.
Cayetano met Giorgio Armani in Valencia in 2006 and the Italian designer proposed to design a 'suit of lights' for Cayetano to wear during the bullfights of the world famous 'feria goyesca' celebrating the first matador, Pedro Romero, in his - and Cayetano's - hometown of Ronda. Cayetano's grandfather founded the feria in the 1950s and Pablo Picasso designed his suit for him. Cayetano has also represented the men's luxury fashion house Loewe as brand ambassador.
During the 2009 season he fought in 58 festivals and cut 77 ears, ranking him as number 6 in Spain on the Escalafón Matadores, the 'Matadors Ladder', up from number 16 in 2008.
That year, before a corrida in Sanlúcar de Barrameda, he met with British author and amateur bullfighter Alexander Fiske-Harrison, for an interview for The Times. He invited Fiske-Harrison to join him in the bullring, and, later that year, to stay with him and his family during the 'feria goyesca' in Ronda. This is recounted in Into The Arena: The World Of The Spanish Bullfight. (The book went on to be shortlisted for the William Hill Sports Book of the Year in 2011.)
In September 2012 the documentary filmmaker Stevan Riley, in an interview with Screen International about his cinema documentary Everything And Nothing: 50 Years Of James Bond, said that he was currently making a feature-length documentary on bullfighting with Cayetano for cinematic release. It is being produced by the Academy Award-winning John Battsek's Passion Pictures. Fiske-Harrison is the writer on the project and is co-producing it with Mephisto Productions. Cayetano soon afterwards announced his temporary retirement from professional bullfighting to pursue "other projects".
- Entry for 'Cayetano Rivera Ordóñez Archived 2012-08-17 at the Wayback Machine.', Portal Taurino, Online Bullfighting Encyclopedia (Spanish)
- Corral, Carmen.'The Textual History of The Sun Also Rises', Sigma Tau Delta Convention. St Louis 1999. Retrieved on 2009-09-07
- SPAIN / MATADOR CAYETANO RIVERA for LOEWE
- "GIORGIO ARMANI DESIGNS COSTUME FOR CAYETANO RIVERA ORDONEZ FOR 'THE CORRIDA GOYESCA'". giorgioarmani. 2008-07-29. Archived from the original on 2011-07-11.
- "Cayetano Rivera luce el traje que Giorgio Armani le diseñó para la corrida Goyesca". Hola. 2009-09-05.
- "Armani brindó en Ronda". El País. 2009-09-06.
- Bullfighter Cayetano Rivera to be Face of Loewe Perfume
- Bullfighter Cayetano Rivera is the new face of Loewe
- Loewe and Paco Rabanne fragrances win key beauty awards
- Escalafón Matadores
- Fiske-Harrison, Alexander. 'A Life In The Day: Lord of the Bullring', Sunday Times. July 26, 2009. Retrieved on 2009-09-07
- Fiske-Harrison, Alexander. Into The Arena: The World Of The Spanish Bullfight, Profile Books, 2011
- Macnabb, Geoffrey, 'Stevan Riley talks about James Bond doc Everything or Nothing', Screen International, 28 September 2012
- Fiske-Harrison, Alexander. From Bond To Bullfighting Archived 2012-11-03 at the Wayback Machine., The Last Arena blog
- Editorial staff, 'Cayetano Rivera deja de torear temporalmente', El Mundo, 7 October 2012