Cayman Islands at the 2016 Summer Olympics
|Cayman Islands at the|
2016 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Cayman Islands Olympic Committee|
|in Rio de Janeiro|
|Competitors||5 in 3 sports|
|Flag bearer||Ronald Forbes|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
Cayman Islands Olympic Committee selected a total of five athletes, three men and two women, for the Games across three different sports (athletics, sailing, and swimming), matching its roster size from London 2012. Among the sports represented by the athletes, Cayman Islands marked its Olympic return in sailing after a sixteen-year absence.
The Caymanian team featured swimming siblings Geoffrey and Lara Butler, Laser Radial sailor Florence Allan, track sprinter Kemar Hyman, and hurdler Ronald Forbes, who joined Kareem Streete-Thompson as the only athletes to compete in three editions of the Games. The most experienced member of the team, Forbes was chosen by the committee to lead the delegation for the second time as Cayman Islands' flag bearer in the opening ceremony. Cayman Islands, however, has yet to win its first Olympic medal.
Athletics (track and field)
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
- NM = No mark
- Track & road events
|Ronald Forbes||Men's 110 m hurdles||14.67||6||N/A||Did not advance|
|Kemar Hyman||Men's 100 m||Bye||10.34||7||Did not advance|
Cayman Islands received an invitation from the Tripartite Commission to send a sailor competing in the Laser Radial class to the Olympics, signifying the nation's comeback to the sport for the first time since 2000.
|Athlete||Event||Race||Net points||Final rank|
|Florence Allan||Laser Radial||35||34||31||36||DNF||32||34||33||36||EL||308||36|
M = Medal race; EL = Eliminated – did not advance into the medal race
|Geoffrey Butler||Men's 400 m freestyle||4:07.87||48||N/A||Did not advance|
|Lara Butler||Women's 100 m backstroke||1:04.98||29||Did not advance|
- Morales, Kevin (4 August 2016). "Forbes to serve as Cayman's flag bearer at Rio 2016". Cayman 27. Archived from the original on 5 August 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Whittaker, James (19 July 2016). "Five Cayman athletes ready for Rio". Cayman Compass. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- "Ronald Forbes named Cayman Islands flag bearer". The Cayman Reporter. 5 August 2016. Archived from the original on 4 January 2017. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- "iaaf.org – Top Lists". IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "IAAF Games of the XXX Olympiad – Rio 2016 Entry Standards" (PDF). IAAF. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "Swimming World Rankings". FINA. Archived from the original on 6 January 2011. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- "Men's Final Entry List" (PDF). FINA. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- "Women's Final Entry List" (PDF). FINA. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cayman Islands at the 2016 Summer Olympics.|