Cecil Knatchbull-Hugessen, 4th Baron Brabourne
He was educated at Eton College and King's College, Cambridge, and appeared in the cricket eleven at both. A right-handed batsman and wicket-keeper, he also made appearances for Kent County Cricket Club. In total he scored 192 runs in 12 appearances, and took ten catches and one stumping keeping wicket.
Knatchbull-Hugessen succeeded to the title Baron Brabourne in 1915, following the death of his nephew Wyndham Knatchbull-Hugessen. Knatchbull-Hugessen also inherited the Knatchbull Baronetcy, of Mersham Hatch, after the death of an other cousin, Sir Wyndham Knatchbull, 12th Baronet, in 1917.
He married Helena Regina Frederica Flesch von Brunningen, daughter of the Austrian nobleman Hermann Flesch Edler von Brunningen, on 8 November 1893.
Knatchbull-Hugessen died while journeying from Cape Town to London aboard the SS Caernarvon Castle in February 1933. He was buried at sea, but is commemorated with a tablet in St Mary the Virgin Churchyard at Smeeth, Kent.
Styles of address
- 1863-1880: Mr Cecil Knatchbull-Hugessen
- 1880-1915: The Honourable Cecil Knatchbull-Hugessen
- 1915-1917: The Right Honourable The Lord Brabourne
- 1917-1933: The Right Honourable The Lord Brabourne[a]
- Although The Lord Brabourne became a baronet in 1917, by custom the post-nominal of "Bt" is omitted, as Peers of the Realm do not list subsidiary hereditary titles.
- "Knatchbull-Hugessen, the Hon. Cecil Marcus (KNTL883CM)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "1935 – Obituaries in 1934". Wisden Cricketers' Almanack. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
Knatchbull-Hugessen is listed in the "Supplementary List of Deaths in 1931-32 and 1933", under Brabourne.
- "CricketArchive player profile". CricketArchive. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Lord Brabourne
- Cecil Knatchbull-Hugessen, 4th Baron Brabourne at ESPNcricinfo
- Cecil Knatchbull-Hugessen, 4th Baron Brabourne at CricketArchive (subscription required)
- thepeerage.com Cecil Marcus Knatchbull-Hugessen, 4th Baron Brabourne of Brabourne
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Baronetage of England|
(of Mersham Hatch)