|Chinese name||劉詩詩 (traditional)|
|Chinese name||刘诗诗 (simplified)|
|Pinyin||Liú Shīshī (Mandarin)|
|Jyutping||Lau4 Si1 Si1 (Cantonese)|
March 10, 1987|
|Other names||Cecilia Liu|
|Alma mater||Beijing Dance Academy|
Tangren Media (2007–2016)|
Liu Shishi Studio (2017–present)
Nicky Wu (m. 2015)
Liu Shishi (Chinese: 刘诗诗, born 10 March 1987), also known as Cecilia Liu, is a popular Chinese actress who graduated from the Beijing Dance Academy with a major in ballet. She is best known for her role as Ruoxi in the Chinese time-travel drama Scarlet Heart.
2005–2010: Beginnings and Rising popularity
Having been trained in ballet at the Beijing Dance Academy, Liu Shishi made her acting debut in the television drama series The Moon and the Wind (2005). She included a segment of Swan Lake in one of her scenes. She then starred in The Young Warriors (2006) and The Fairies of Liaozhai (2007).
In 2007, Liu graduated from Beijing Dance Academy and was signed on by Tangren Media, successfully making her transition from a dancer to an actress. She then starred as Mu Nianci in The Legend of the Condor Heroes (2008), which gained her more recognition.
Liu gained popularity after appearing in the popular xianxia drama Chinese Paladin 3 (2009); her role as Long Kui broke her previous typecasting as a "gentle, kind, and understanding maiden" and received positive reviews from critics and fans.
The following year, Liu was cast in the drama A Weaver on the Horizon (2010), based on the life story of Huang Daopo. Originally cast in the role of the lead female protagonist, Liu instead chose to portray the princess Zhao Jiayi, as she felt that the character's developments would challenge her acting.
2011–2012: Breakthrough and Film debut
The year 2011 saw Liu's further rise in popularity with two successful dramas. She starred alongside Wallace Huo in period action drama The Vigilantes In Masks, which was a ratings success and led to increased popularity for Liu. She then played the female protagonist, Ruoxi in the time travel series, Scarlet Heart, based on the novel Bu Bu Jing Xin by Tong Hua. The drama became a major sleeper hit in China, and swiftly gained popularity across East Asia. Liu, then a rising actress, was propelled to stardom. Liu bagged several awards at local award-giving bodies for her performance, including Most Popular Actress awards at the China TV Drama Awards and Shanghai Television Festival.
Liu then focused her career on the big screen; she made her feature film debut in The Next Miracle, directed by Taiwanese filmmaker Zhuo Li. She also filmed two other movies, Sad Fairy Tale and A Moment of Love.
In 2012, Liu starred in Xuan-Yuan Sword: Scar of Sky, adapted from the video game of the same name. The fantasy-action drama topped TV ratings and garnered 2 billion views online, becoming the 9th drama in Hunan TV's broadcast history to achieve that feat. Liu's soaring popularity due to Scarlet Heart in 2011 coupled with Xuan-Yuan Sword: Scar of Sky in 2012 allowed her to become the "Golden Eagle Goddess" at the 9th China Golden Eagle TV Art Festival. Liu was also chosen by Southern Metropolis Daily as one of the new Four Dan Actresses alongside Angelababy, Yang Mi and Ni Ni.
2013–present: Mainstream popularity
In 2013, Liu starred in action comedy Badges of Fury alongside Jet Li. She then starred in wuxia film Brotherhood of Blades, alongside Taiwanese actor Chang Chen, which received critical acclaim acclaim. Liu was nominated for Best Actress at the China Film Directors' Guild Awards for her performance.
She returned to the small screen with historical drama Sound of the Desert, based on the novel Ballad of the Desert written by Tong Hua. The series gained high ratings domestically, and was also well-received overseas. Liu then starred in romance film Five Minutes to Tomorrow. She and co-stars Haruma Miura and Joseph Chang attended the 19th Busan International Film Festival for the premiere of the film, where she received the Asia Star Award.
Liu then headlined The Imperial Doctress (2016), based on the history of Tan Yunxian, a famous female physician during China's Ming Dynasty. The drama was extremely popular during its run, and Liu won the Most Influential Actress award at 1st China Television Drama Quality Ceremony for her performance.
In 2017, Liu starred along veteran actors Wang Qianyuan and Cao Bingkun in the spy drama, The Battle at Dawn; produced by the Ministry of Public Security. The same year, she played a young single mother in romance melodrama Angelo alongside Ming Dao. Liu then starred in historical fantasy drama Lost Love in Times alongside William Chan, as well as the crime suspense film The Liquidator.
|Year||English Title||Chinese Title||Role||Notes|
|2012||The Next Miracle||下一个奇迹||Li Jiayi|
|Sad Fairy Tale||伤心童话||Yang Jia|
|2013||Badges of Fury||不二神探||Liu Jingshui|
|A Moment of Love||回到爱开始的地方||Ji Yaqing|
|2014||Brotherhood of Blades||绣春刀||Zhou Miaotong||Special appearance|
|Five Minutes to Tomorrow||深夜前的五分钟||Ruo Lan / Ru Mei|
|2017||The Liquidator||心理罪之城市之光||Mi Nan|
|Year||English Title||Chinese Title||Role||Notes|
|2005||The Moon and the Wind||月影风荷||Yang Fenghe / Yan Xiulian|
|2006||The Legend of Lu Xiaofeng||陆小凤传奇||Sun Xiuqing||television film|
|Flying Like a Butterfly||飞花如蝶||Qi'er|
|The Young Warriors||少年杨家将||Lady Luo|
|2007||The Fairies of Liaozhai||聊斋奇女子||Xin Shisiniang|
|2008||The Legend of the Condor Heroes||射雕英雄传||Mu Nianci|
|2009||Chinese Paladin 3||仙剑奇侠传3||Long Kui|
|The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber||倚天屠龙记||Yellow Dress Maiden||Special appearance|
|2010||Tale Of The Oriental Serpent||白蛇后传||Yin Shuangshuang|||
|A Weaver on the Horizon||天涯织女||Zhao Jiayi|
|2011||The Vigilantes In Masks||怪俠一枝梅||Yan Sanniang|
|Scarlet Heart||步步惊心||Ma'ertai Ruoxi / Zhang Xiao|
|2012||Xuan-Yuan Sword: Scar of Sky||轩辕剑之天之痕||Taba Yu'er|
|2013||The Patriot Yue Fei||精忠岳飞||Lady Yang||Special appearance|
|2014||Scarlet Heart 2||步步惊情||Zhang Xiao / Lan Lan|||
|Sound of the Desert||风中奇缘||Xin Yue|
|Incisive Great Teacher||犀利仁师||Lu Yunfei|||
|2016||The Imperial Doctress||女医·明妃传||Tan Yunxian|
|Precious Youth||那年青春我们正好||Liu Ting|||
|2017||The Battle at the Dawn||黎明决战||Song Hongling|
|Lost Love in Times||醉玲珑||Feng Qingchen||Co-producer|
|2018||If We Could Love Like This||如果可以这样爱||Bai Kao'er|
|2004||The Night of Falling Flowers (落花之夜)||Shao Bing|
|When the Wind is the Coldest (风最冷的时候)|
|2008||Go and Love (去爱吧)||Hu Ge|||
|2009||Love Until I Am Alone (爱得剩我一个人)||Chen Long|
|Dare to Love (敢不敢爱)||Hu Ge|
|2011||I Am Not Going To Be A Hero (我不做英雄)|
|Year||English Title||Chinese Title||Album||Notes|
|2011||"Season of Waiting"||等你的季节||Scarlet Heart OST|
|2016||"Holding Hands"||手牽手||N/A||with Nicky Wu|
|2017||何者般若||The Liquidator OST|||
Awards and nominations
|2012||18th Shanghai Television Festival||Most Popular Actress||Scarlet Heart||Won|||
|9th China Golden Eagle TV Art Festival||Golden Eagle Goddess||N/A||Won|||
|8th Huading Awards||Best Actress (Ancient Drama)||Scarlet Heart||Nominated|||
|Best New Actress||Nominated|
|Actress with the Most Media Popularity||Won|
|2014||19th Busan International Film Festival||Asian Star Award||N/A||Won|||
|6th Macau International Movie Festival||Best Actress||Five Minutes to Tomorrow||Nominated|
|2015||6th China Film Directors' Guild Awards||Best Actress||Brotherhood of Blades||Nominated|||
|15th Huading Awards||Best Actress (TV)||Sound of the Desert||Nominated|||
|2017||22nd Huading Awards||Best Actress||The Imperial Doctress||Nominated|||
|2011||2nd China Student Television Festival||Most Popular Actress||Scarlet Heart||Won|||
|3rd China TV Drama Awards||Media Recommendation Award||N/A||Won|||
|2012||3rd LeTV Entertainment Awards||Most Commercially Valuable Actress||N/A||Won|||
|4th China TV Drama Awards||Popular Actress Award||Xuan-Yuan Sword: Scar of Sky||Won|||
|2014||Sina Weibo Awards Night||Weibo Queen||N/A||Won|||
|6th China TV Drama Awards||Most Commercially Valuable Actress||Scarlet Heart 2||Won|||
|2016||1st China Television Drama Quality Ceremony||Most Influential Actress||The Imperial Doctress||Won|||
|5th iQiyi All-Star Carnival||Best Actress (TV)||N/A||Won|||
|2017||2nd China Television Drama Quality Ceremony||Most Influential Actress||N/A||Won|||
- "2017 Forbes China Celebrity List (Full List)". Forbes. September 22, 2017.
- "《月影风荷》片场传真--刘诗诗小荷才露尖尖角". Sina (in Chinese). January 10, 2005.
- "《聊斋奇女子》热播 "穆念慈"化身"狐仙"". Tencent (in Chinese). July 16, 2008.
- "新人演员袁弘、刘诗诗聊新版《射雕英雄传》". Sina (in Chinese). June 12, 2007.
- "刘诗诗《仙剑3》挑战双重人格 红葵造型惊艳". Tencent (in Chinese). October 22, 2018.
- "刘诗诗入主《衣被天下》 首度挑战刁蛮公主". Sina (in Chinese). November 12, 2009.
- "《怪侠一枝梅》开年爆红 刘诗诗人气激增". Tencent (in Chinese). January 12, 2011.
- "Time for a change". China Daily. November 2, 2011.
- "Rising Star". AsiaOne. February 8, 2014.
- "Top 10 popular Chinese TV dramas overseas". China.org.cn. April 7, 2014.
- "《下一个奇迹》刘诗诗：穿越职场成事业女王". Tencent (in Chinese). March 27, 2012.
- "《伤心童话》进军暑期档 刘诗诗拒绝"姐弟恋"". Tencent (in Chinese). February 15, 2012.
- "Vic Chou, Liu Shishi attend premiere of 'A Moment of Love' in Beijing". The Global Times. August 22, 2013.
- "《轩辕剑》大结局完美收官 开创周播剧新纪元". Tencent (in Chinese). September 5, 2012.
- "盘点金鹰女神：刘诗诗大气 刘亦菲优雅". Sina (in Chinese). September 6, 2012.
- "10年之后再评花旦". Southern Metropolis Daily (in Chinese). January 2013. Archived from the original on 2017-07-29.
- "Badges of Fury: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. June 24, 2013.
- "《绣春刀》首日排片第二 成近期口碑最好武侠片". Xinhua News Agency (in Chinese). August 8, 2014.
- "Nominations for China Film Directors Guild Award released". China.org.cn. March 18, 2015.
- "《风中奇缘》收视双网第一 大结局前篇引热议". Tencent (in Chinese). November 20, 2014.
- "Crew of film "Five Minutes To Tomorrow" attend Busan Int'l Film Festival". Xinhua News Agency. October 4, 2014.
- "Liu Shishi stuns award ceremony in S. Korea". China Daily. October 6, 2014.
- "Liu Shishi and Huo Jianhua Reunite for TV Drama "The Imperial Doctress"". China Radio International. February 20, 2016.
- "刘诗诗凭《女医》获最具影响力演员奖 再获肯定". NetEase (in Chinese). March 9, 2016.
- "TV series to shine spotlight on policemen". China.org.cn. March 16, 2017.
- "刘诗诗明道《天使的幸福》终于要播出了，期待吗？". Sohu (in Chinese). May 13, 2017.
- 花千骨班底拍《醉玲珑》刘诗诗陈伟霆虐恋. Sina (in Chinese). August 25, 2016.
- "《心理罪之城市之光》曝概念海报 邓超刘诗诗领衔". Sina (in Chinese). February 21, 2017.
- "吴奇隆刘诗诗领证 晒婚戒感言珍惜幸福". Sina (in Chinese). January 20, 2015.
- "Liu Shishi and Nicky Wu marry in Bali". China Daily. March 21, 2016.
- "《陆小凤与花满楼》将播 毛林林刘诗诗PK". Sohu (in Chinese). January 8, 2015.
- "《倚天》即将杀青 黄衫女刘诗诗"征服"张纪中". Tencent (in Chinese). March 9, 2009.
- "刘诗诗《白蛇后传》演绎画中仙 成宅男梦中情人". Netease (in Chinese). February 10, 2010.
- "《岳飞》刘诗诗客串盲女 搭档吴秀波". Sina (in Chinese). July 3, 2013.
- "《步步惊情》刘诗诗饰两角再恋吴奇隆". Sina (in Chinese). April 22, 2013.
- "《犀利仁师》吴奇隆刘诗诗携手挑战喜剧". Sina (in Chinese). August 20, 2013.
- "《那年青春》开机 刘诗诗郑恺首度牵手". Sina (in Chinese). July 6, 2015.
- "胡歌《去爱吧》MV曝光 刘诗诗友情出演哭功一流". ifeng (in Chinese). April 28, 2008.
- "《城市之光》发主题曲《何者般若》MV 刘诗诗献声". Sina (in Chinese). December 11, 2017.
- "白玉兰奖颁奖 吴奇隆刘诗诗获网络人气男女演员". iFeng (in Chinese). June 15, 2012.
- "2012华鼎奖中国百强电视剧提名名单". Xinhua News Agency (in Chinese). November 9, 2012.
- "华鼎奖两大榜单揭晓 周迅只角逐最佳女演员". China News (in Chinese). January 5, 2015.
- "华鼎奖提名公布投票开启 《人民》吴刚陆毅齐入围". Sina (in Chinese). April 28, 2017.
- "大学生电视节闭幕 刘诗诗杜淳获最受喜爱演员奖". Tencent (in Chinese). November 2, 2011.
- "安徽卫视2011国剧盛典获奖名单". Sina (in Chinese). January 1, 2012.
- "何润东成最具商业价值演员 自曝明年结婚生子". Tencent (in Chinese). October 10, 2012.
- "安徽国剧盛典落幕 张嘉译孙俪分获视帝后". Sina (in Chinese). January 1, 2013.
- "陈坤封王刘诗诗称后" (in Chinese). January 17, 2014.
- "安徽卫视国剧盛典 2014：最具商业价值女演员 刘诗诗". Youku (in Chinese).
- "谢娜刘诗诗遭催生 黄轩帮挡驾自曝空窗四年". NetEase (in Chinese). December 24, 2016.
- "品质盛典：孙俪着戏装现身 胡歌现场致敬老艺术家". NetEase (in Chinese). March 3, 2017.