Cecilia W. Lo
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (B.S.), Rockefeller University (Ph.D.)|
|Institutions||University of Pittsburgh|
Lo received her bachelor's degree in biology in 1974 from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where she worked with David Baltimore. She received her Ph.D. in 1979 from Rockefeller University.
After a period on the faculty at the University of Pennsylvania, Lo joined the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), one of the United States National Institutes of Health, to serve as chief of the Laboratory of Developmental Biology in 2001. Three years later, she became the director of the NHLBI's Genetics and Developmental Biology Center. In 2009, she and her husband, fellow NIH researcher Rocky Tuan, were recruited to the University of Pittsburgh. Lo became the founding chair of the newly established Department of Developmental Biology and is the F. Sargent Cheever professor.
Lo's research focuses on the genetics and developmental biology of congenital heart defects. Her research group relies on mouse models for investigation of genetic causes of congenital heart disease and also engages in translational research. They have developed particular interest in the functional role of cilia in heart development and in contributions of genetic defects in ciliary function to clinical outcomes, especially with respect to cases of heterotaxy.
- Srikameswaran, Anita. "Cecilia Lo Appointed Chair of New Developmental Biology Department in Pitt Medical School | Pitt Chronicle | University of Pittsburgh". www.chronicle.pitt.edu. Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- "Cecilia Lo, Ph.D." Department of Developmental Biology, University of Pittsburgh. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- Heinrichs, Allison M. "Husband-wife team leaves NIH to start new medical centers at Pitt". TribLIVE.com. Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- "Pitt Team Part of $100 Million NHLBI 'Bench to Bassinet' Effort in Congenital Heart Disease". www.upmc.com. Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- "Pitt Team Identifies Genes that Play Critical Role in the Development of Congenital Heart Disease". www.upmc.com. Retrieved 2017-05-19.
- Tuan, Rocky S.; Lo, Cecilia W. (2000). Developmental Biology Protocols : Volume I. Humana Press. ISBN 9780896038523. OCLC 756436545.
- S., Tuan, Rocky; W., Lo, Cecilia (2000). Developmental biology protocols. Volume II. Humana Press. ISBN 9780896038530. OCLC 170934659.
- S., Tuan, Rocky; W., Lo, Cecilia (2000). Developmental biology protocols. Volume III. Humana Press. ISBN 9780896038547. OCLC 44764383.