Cecilie Manz (born 1972) is a Danish industrial designer. She is considered one of the leading Danish furniture designers of her generation. In September 2014, she won the Danish Crown Prince Couple's Culture Award (Kronprinsparrets Kulturpris) for her contribution to design. Cecilie Manz extends the understanding of the function and aesthetics of design and challenges the established concepts of industrial design.
Cecilie Manz was born in Denmark's Odsherred region on the island of Zealand in 1972. She was admitted to the Danish Design School in Copenhagen and went to Helsinki as an exchange student, studying at the Finnish School of Art and Design, before she graduated in 1997. She then worked briefly in Professor Yrjö Wiherheimo's studio in Helsinki before returning to Copenhagen where she founded her own Manz Lab in 1998.
Some of her most known designs include the Caravaggio lamp for Lightyears and the Mikado table.
In awarding her the Crown Prince Couple's Culture Prize in 2014, Prince Frederik commented: "The fascinating thing about Cecilie Manz's design is that despite the diversity of her work, there is a clearly discernible tone. The basic idea is always strong in Manz's design, evoking associations with historical realisations in design while clearly reflecting the present."
Awards and recognition
- 2004: 3-years work grant, Danish Arts Foundation
- 2004: Danish Design Award
- Forum +1 Award
- 2007 iF product design award
- 2007 Finn Juhl Prize
- 2008 Danish Design Award
- 2014 Danish Crown Prince Couple's Culture Prize
- Cecilie Manz – Status, Danish Design Center, Copenhagen
- Walk the Plank I + II, Danish Museum of Art & Design, Copenhagen (1999 and 2003)
- Living in Motion, Vitra Design Museum, Basel (2002
- Northern Lights, MDS-G Miyake Design Studio Gallery, Tokyo (2004
- Grand Danois, Zona Tortona., Milan Furniture Fair, Milan (2008)
- Mindcraft, 100 Design, London (2008)
- Shh…Craft is Golden!, Zona Tortona., Milan Furniture Fair, Milan (2009)
- Maria Haarbye Pedersen (27 September 2014). "De fik Kronprinsparrets Priser" (in Danish). Danmarks Radio. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "Cecilie Manz". Danish Vogue. Retrieved 2010-04-19.
- "HE DESIGNER : CECILIE MANZ (1972)". Fritz Hansen. Archived from the original on 2010-02-10. Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- "Beoplay P2 is a truly portable, Bluetooth speaker with rich sound". www.beoplay.com. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Cecilie Manz". Dansk Møbeldesign. Archived from the original on 2010-12-02. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "Kronprinsparrets Priser" (in Danish). Bikubenfonden. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "Grand Danois in Milan". Dezeen. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "Mindcraft by Danish Crafts". Dezeen. Retrieved 2010-04-22.
- "Shh…Craft is Golden! by Danish Crafts". Dezeen. Retrieved 2010-04-22.