Cedar Covered Bridge
Cedar Covered Bridge
Formerly listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places
The new Cedar Covered Bridge
|Nearest city||1.5 miles (2.4 km) east of Winterset, Iowa|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architectural style||Other, covered bridge|
|NRHP Reference #||76000786|
|Added to NRHP||August 28, 1976|
|Removed from NRHP||October 18, 2002|
Cedar Bridge refers to two different bridges. The original Cedar Covered Bridge was built in 1883, moved in 1921, and was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. The bridge was filmed in the 1995 movie The Bridges of Madison County, and destroyed by arson in 2002. The current covered Cedar Bridge was built in 2004.
The original Cedar Covered Bridge
Cedar Covered Bridge was built in 1883 by Benton Jones at a location north of Winterset over Cedar Creek where is now crossed by U.S. 169. It was 75 feet (23 m) long. The bridge was moved in 1921 to the current location over Cedar Creek. A picture of this bridge is on the cover of the novel The Bridges of Madison County. It was renovated in 1998. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
New Cedar Covered Bridge
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 10/14/02 through 10/18/02". National Park Service. October 25, 2002. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "National Register of Historic Places Annual Listing of Historic Properties" (PDF). Federal Register. U.S. Government Printing Office. February 6, 1979. p. 7470. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- Holden, Greg (2009-01-01). The Booklover's Guide to the Midwest: A Literary Tour. Clerisy Press. ISBN 9781578603145.
- Hellmann, Paul T. (2004-11-01). Historical Gazetteer of the United States. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 9780203997000.
- Whye, Mike (2004-01-01). The Great Iowa Touring Book: 27 Spectacular Auto Tours. Big Earth Publishing. ISBN 9781931599351.
- "Cedar Covered Bridge". cedarcoveredbridge.com. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "The Bridges of Madison County". Madison County, Iowa. Madison County Chamber of Commerce. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
Media related to Cedar Covered Bridge at Wikimedia Commons