Cedar Creek Wind Farm

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cedar Creek Wind Farm I & II
Pawnee Buttes 2016-2.JPG
One of the Pawnee Buttes with the wind farm in the distance.
CountryUnited States
Location13km E of Grover, Colorado, United States
Coordinates40°52′16″N 104°5′35″W / 40.87111°N 104.09306°W / 40.87111; -104.09306Coordinates: 40°52′16″N 104°5′35″W / 40.87111°N 104.09306°W / 40.87111; -104.09306
StatusOperational
Construction began2007
Commission date21 November 2007
Construction costUS$480 million
Owner(s)Cedar Creek Wind Energy, LLC (Cedar Creek I - Infigen Energy (67%) & BP Energy (33%; Cedar Creek II - BP Wind Energy (50%) & Sempra Generation (50%))
Operator(s)Infigen Energy (Cedar Creek I) and BP Wind Energy (Cedar Creek II)
Wind farm
TypeOnshore
Power generation
Units operational397 - Total
274 - Cedar Creek I
123 - Cedar Creek II
Make and modelMitsubishi, GE, Nordex
221x 1MW Mitsubishi MWT-1000
53x 1.5MW GE 1.5s/sle
63x 1.6MW GE
60x 2.5MW Nordex
Nameplate capacity551.3MW - Total
300.5MW - Cedar Creek I
250.8MW - Cedar Creek II
Capacity factor32.6% (average 2012-2017)
Annual net output1,574 GW·h

The Cedar Creek Wind Farm is a 551.3MW, 397 wind turbine facility, consists of 2 phases, Cedar Creek I and Cedar Creek II, located 13 km (8 miles) east of Grover in north-central Weld County, Colorado, which became fully operational with the completion of Cedar Creek II in 2010. The initial 300.5 megawatt (MW) Cedar Creek I wind power installation was completed on time, within budget and without incident - with the operation commencing on 21 November 2007. Cedar Creek I is an important contributor to Colorado's New Energy Economy, providing enough wind-powered electricity for 81,135 homes.[1] The power produced from the Cedar Creek wind farm is sold to the Public Service Company of Colorado. Cedar Creek II has an additional 250.8MW of generating capacity, and was commissioned in 2010.

The first phase has 221 1MW wind turbines (produced by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) and 53 1.5MW turbines (produced by General Electric),[2] and the second phase has an additional 63 1.6MW SLE turbines from General Electric, and 60 2.5MW from German wind turbine supplier Nordex.

The Cedar Creek Wind Farm I is owned by Cedar Creek Wind Energy LLC which is a conglomerate group with Infigen Energy owning 67% and BP Wind Energy the other 33%.[3][citation needed]

The Cedar Creek Wind Farm II is owned by BP Wind Energy (50%) and Sempra Generation (50%).[4] The power from the Cedar Creek 2 Wind Farm has been sold under a long-term power purchase agreement to the Public Service Company of Colorado, an Xcel Energy company. Electricity from the Cedar Creek II Wind Farm reaches the grid through approximately 20 miles of new transmission lines that connect to the Cedar Creek I Wind Farm. From there, the project utilizes an existing 76-mile (230kV) transmission line to deliver the electrical power. The Cedar Creek II project employed some 350 workers during peak construction, and some 19 jobs have been created to monitor and maintain the facility.

Electricity production[edit]

Cedar Creek Electricity Generation (MW·h)
Year Cedar Creek 1
(300.5 MW Unit) [5]
Cedar Creek 2
(250.8 MW Unit) [6]
Total Annual MW·h
2007 106,803 - 106,803
2008 972,787 - 972,787
2009 913,282 - 913,282
2010 841,206 - 841,206
2011 891,305 508,691 1,399,996
2012 837,374 801,121 1,638,495
2013 879,922 811,375 1,691,297
2014 842,744 758,709 1,601,453
2015 744,451 654,254 1,398,705
2016 852,867 751,628 1,604,495
2017 794,301 713,395 1,507,696
Average Annual Production (years 2012-2017) ---> 1,573,690

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ Cedar Creek Wind Farm I Project Info PDF
  2. ^ Cedar Creek Wind Farm page, power-technology.com[unreliable source?]
  3. ^ "4th Annual Australian Microcap Investment Conference" (PDF). Infigen Energy website. Infigen Energy. 22 October 2013. p. 28. Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 28 October 2013. Infigen Energy Portfolio Summary
  4. ^ "The Cedar Creek 2 Wind Farm Weld County, Colorado" (PDF). BP website. BP. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
  5. ^ "Cedar Creek 1, Annual". Electricity Data Browser. Energy Information Administration. Retrieved February 24, 2019.
  6. ^ "Cedar Creek 2, Annual". Electricity Data Browser. Energy Information Administration. Retrieved February 24, 2019.