Cedric Smith (American football)
|No. 30, 37, 34, 35|
|Date of birth:||May 27, 1968|
|Place of birth:||Enterprise, Alabama|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||275 lb (125 kg)|
|High school:||Enterprise (AL)|
|NFL Draft:||1990 / Round: 5 / Pick: 131|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Cedric Delon Smith (born May 27, 1968) is an American former college and professional football player who was a running back in the National Football League (NFL) for six seasons during the 1990s. Smith played college football for the University of Florida, and thereafter, he played professionally for the Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Washington Redskins and Arizona Cardinals of the NFL.
Smith accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played fullback for coach Galen Hall's Florida Gators football team from 1986 to 1989. He was the primary blocking back for featured tailback Emmitt Smith in 1987, 1988 and 1989, and was also a team captain as a senior in 1989. Smith was recognized as a Southeastern Conference (SEC) Academic Honor Roll honoree in 1987, 1988 and 1989, and he graduated with a bachelor's degree in public health in 1990.
The Minnesota Vikings chose Smith in the fifth round (131st pick overall) of the 1990 NFL Draft, and he played for the Vikings for a single season in 1990. Smith played for the New Orleans Saints in 1991
After two seasons out of the NFL, Smith signed with the Washington Redskins and played in twenty games during the 1995 and 1995 seasons. He played his final two NFL seasons for the Arizona Cardinals in 1996 and 1997, appearing in thirty-one games. In his six-season NFL career, Smith played in seventy-two games, and started fourteen of them.
Smith is currently assistant strength and conditioning coach for the Denver Broncos, having spent the previous three seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs and four seasons with the Houston Texans as strength and conditioning coach.
- Florida Gators football, 1980–89
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- List of New Orleans Saints players
- List of University of Florida alumni
- List of Washington Redskins players
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Cedric Smith. Retrieved July 27, 2010.
- databaseFootball.com, Players, Cedric Smith. Retrieved July 27, 2010.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide Archived April 2, 2012, at the Wayback Machine., University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 98, 99, 124, 174, 185 (2011). Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Draft History, 1990 National Football League Draft. Retrieved July 27, 2010.
- National Football League, Historical Players, Cedric Smith. Retrieved July 27, 2010.
- Drew Dougherty, "Q&A With Cedric Smith," Houston Texans (July 8, 2010). Retrieved July 27, 2010.
- Houston Texans, Coaches, Cedric Smith. Retrieved July 27, 2010.
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
- Golenbock, Peter, Go Gators! An Oral History of Florida's Pursuit of Gridiron Glory, Legends Publishing, LLC, St. Petersburg, Florida (2002). ISBN 0-9650782-1-3.
- Hairston, Jack, Tales from the Gator Swamp: A Collection of the Greatest Gator Stories Ever Told, Sports Publishing, LLC, Champaign, Illinois (2002). ISBN 1-58261-514-4.
- McCarthy, Kevin M., Fightin' Gators: A History of University of Florida Football, Arcadia Publishing, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (2000). ISBN 978-0-7385-0559-6.
- Nash, Noel, ed., The Gainesville Sun Presents The Greatest Moments in Florida Gators Football, Sports Publishing, Inc., Champaign, Illinois (1998). ISBN 1-57167-196-X.