|Systematic (IUPAC) name|
|Trade names||Generic (formerly Vantin)|
|Protein binding||21% to 29%|
|Metabolism||Negligible. Cefpodoxime proxetil is metabolized to cefpodoxime by the liver|
|Biological half-life||2 hours|
|Molecular mass||427.458 g/mol|
|(what is this?)|
Cefpodoxime is an oral, third-generation cephalosporin antibiotic. It is active against most Gram-positive and Gram-negative organisms. Notable exceptions include Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterococcus, and Bacteroides fragilis. Currently, it is only marketed as generic preparations in the USA, according to the FDA Orange Book. It is commonly used to treat acute otitis media, pharyngitis, sinusitis, and gonorrhea. It also finds use as oral continuation therapy when intravenous cephalosporins (such as ceftriaxone) are no longer necessary for continued treatment.
Pfizer, the parent company of Pharmacia & Upjohn, markets cefpodoxime proxetil under the trade name C-Doxim for veterinary use. The dose range in dogs is 5–10 mg/kg body weight, administered orally, once a day.
Finecure, India markets the products under trade name Cefpo.
Cefpodoxime inhibits cell wall synthesis by inhibiting the final transpeptidation step of peptidoglycan synthesis in cell walls. It has well established pharmacokinetic profile with absorption of 50%. It is indicated in community acquired pneumonia, uncomplicated skin and skin structure infections, and uncomplicated urinary tract infections.
Spectrum of bacterial susceptibility and resistance
Cefpodoxime has been used to fight pathogenic bacteria responsible for causing gonorrhoea, tonsillitis, pneumonia, and bronchitis. Representative pathogenic genera include Streptococcus, Haemophilus, and Neisseria. The following represents MIC susceptibility data for a few medically significant microorganisms.
- Haemophilus influenzae: ≤0.03 - 1 μg/ml
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae: 0.004 - 0.06 μg/ml
- Streptococcus pyogenes: ≤0.004 - 2 μg/ml
Brand Name: Toraxim (Delta Pharma Ltd. Bangladesh)
- "Anti Biotics and Anti Bacterial". Finecurepharmaceuticalsltd. Retrieved 2012-03-27.
- "Orelox - Drugs.com". www.drugs.com. Retrieved 2015-11-28.
- CID 6526396 from PubChem - cefpodoxime proxetil
- Vantin Tablets and Oral Suspension Torpod (Torrent)Full U.S. Prescribing Information (from manufacturer's website)
- Simplicef (from manufacturer's website)