Celebrity Silhouette in Le Havre, 2016
|Owner:||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.|
|Port of registry:||Valletta, Malta|
|Route:||Caribbean, Northern Europe, South America|
|Ordered:||18 May 2007|
|Builder:||Meyer Werft, Papenburg|
|Cost:||$640 million (USD)|
|Launched:||29 May 2011|
|Sponsored by:||Michelle Morgan|
|Christened:||21 July 2011|
|Acquired:||18 July 2011|
|Maiden voyage:||23 July 2011|
|In service:||23 July 2011|
|Homeport:||Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale, Florida)|
|Class and type:||Solstice-class cruise ship|
|Length:||315 m (1,033 ft) (length overall)|
|Beam:||36.9 m (121 ft)|
|Draught:||8.3 m (27 ft)|
|Speed:||24 kn (44 km/h; 28 mph)|
Celebrity Silhouette is the fourth ship in the Solstice class, her sister ships being Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Solstice and Celebrity Reflection. Solstice, Equinox, and Eclipse entered service in 2008, 2009, and 2010, respectively. Silhouette was launched in 2011, and Reflection, the final ship in the Celebrity Solstice series, launched in 2012.
Construction and delivery
In May 2007, Celebrity Cruises announced an order for the fourth Solstice-class ship, then unnamed, for a tentative Fall 2011 debut. The ship, at a guest capacity of approximately 2,850 passengers, was estimated to cost around $250,000 per berth, or roughly $712,500,000. The vessel's name, Celebrity Silhouette, was publicly announced on 21 December 2009. On 29 May 2011, Celebrity Silhouette was floated out from the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, and was delivered to Celebrity Cruises on 18 July 2011. She sailed to Hamburg for her naming ceremony on 21 July 2011, where Michelle Morgan, president and CEO of Signature Travel Network, officially christened the vessel.
Celebrity Silhouette is built to the same design as her preceding three Solstice-class sister ships, but carries slightly larger dimensions, being 400 tons larger, and six feet longer than her preceding sister ships. The completed ship is 319 metres (1,047 ft) in length overall, with a beam of 36.8 metres (121 ft), and a tonnage value of 122,400 gross tons. Celebrity Silhouette carries 2,885 passengers.
On 23 July 2011, Celebrity Silhouette embarked on her maiden voyage to Barcelona, including a call in Rome, where she would begin cruising Mediterranean voyages for the rest of the summer season. Beginning in November 2011, she homeported in Bayonne, New Jersey at Cape Liberty Cruise Port, to operate 12-night Caribbean itineraries.
As of November 2019, Celebrity Silhouette is homeported at Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where she sails 9-day and 12-day Southern Caribbean itineraries. In January 2020, she will undergo an extensive refurbishment. In summer 2020, she will cruise out of Southampton, sailing to Northern Europe and Iceland, before repositioning to South America for her maiden season in the Southern Hemisphere, cruising along Brazil, Argentina, Peru, and Antarctica.
Silhouette at Old San Juan
- "Celebrity Silhouette (28392)". DNV GL Vessel Register. Det Norske Veritas. Retrieved 2015-12-09.
- "Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Ship". Ship Technology.
- Celebrity Cruises orders fifth Solstice-Class Ship, retrieved 2008-02-24.
- Staff, C. I. N. (2007-05-22). "Celebrity Cruises Announces Fourth Solstice-Class Ship". www.cruiseindustrynews.com.
- Silverstein, Erica. "Happy Winter Solstice: Celebrity Names next ship in class". Cruise Critic. Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- "Meyer Floats Out Celebrity Silhouette". cruisenewsdaily.com. 2011-05-31.
- "Press Release | Delivery of Celebrity Silhouette". www.meyerwerft.de. 2011-07-18.
- "Celebrity's Silhouette to be Christened By Signature's Michelle Morgan". TravelPulse. 2011-07-13.
- "Celebrity Eclipse vs Celebrity Silhouette - Cruise Critic". www.cruisecritic.com.
- "Meyerwerft Website: Celebrity Cruises". Meyer Werft. Retrieved 22 February 2010.
- "Celebrity Cruises names fourth Solstice-class ship Celebrity Silhouette". Cruise Industry News. 21 December 2009. Retrieved 17 February 2010.
- "Celebrity Sends Six Ships to Caribbean for 2019 – 2020 Season". Travel Agent Central. 2017-12-11.
- "Upcoming Cruise Ship Refurbishments - Cruise Critic". www.cruisecritic.com. 2019-10-28.
- Souza, Ben (2018-11-28). "Celebrity Cruises Will Have Six Cruise Ships Sailing in Europe in 2020". Cruise Fever.
- Kalosh, Anne (2018-11-06). "Celebrity broadens South America program with modernized Silhouette in 2020". Seatrade Cruise News.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Celebrity Silhouette (ship, 2011).|