This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Years active||1998–2012 (hiatus)|
|Past members||Antti Railio
Celesty is a Finnish power metal band from Seinäjoki, formed in 1998. The band has released four albums, of which their latest (Vendetta) includes a collaboration with the Tampere Philharmonic Orchestra and a professional choir.
- 1 History
- 2 Band members
- 3 Discography
- 4 External links
- 5 References
1998-1999: Formation of the Band
Celesty's original line up in 1998 included bassist Ari Katajamäki and drummer Jere Luokkamäki. In 1999 Tapani Kangas joined the band as a guitar player, and almost immediately taking place as main composer of music and story along with Jere Luokkamäki. 1999 Celesty also recorded their first (unnamed) demo during the summer. This demo wasn't released commercially or sent out.
2000-2002: Demos and First Album
In the Spring of 2000 (while Tapani and Ari joined the Finnish army) J-P Alanen joined the band bringing vocalist Kimmo Perämäki with him. During the autumn, Celesty recorded their first demo, Warrior of Ice which was released in spring 2001.
Soon after the release, Juha Mäenpää joined Celesty to play keyboards. In March 2002 Celesty recorded and released their second demo Times Before the Ice at Fantom Studios. Celesty signed a deal with Spanish record label Arise Records to record their debut album Reign of Elements in autumn 2002, which was released worldwide in December 2002.
2003-2004: Departure of First Vocalist and Second Album
In summer 2003, Tapani and Jere started composing songs and writing the storyline for their second album. In autumn 2003, Celesty took a break from live performances to record Legacy of Hate. The band describes this album as 'very aggressive and much darker' than their previous material. During this time Vocalist Kimmo left the band, and was replaced by Antti Railio, a vocalist from Vaasa. In May 2004, Arise Records released Legacy of Hate.
2005-2006: Third Album
In August 2005, the band signed a worldwide record deal with German label Dockyard 1. Celesty started composing songs for their third album. At the same time guitarist and third composer, along Jere and Tapani, Teemu Koskela joined Celesty. The band avoided live performances to concentrate on their new album Mortal Mind Creation. It was recorded at Midas Studios in Vaasa, Finland during the summer of 2006 and was released worldwide on 23 October.
Celesty released their fourth album, Vendetta, on 11 March 2009. They then went on to play Bloodstock Open Air, UK in August 2009, the band's first gig outside of Finland. In late 2009 it was announced that vocalist Antti Railio had quit his position. Their new vocalist has been announced as Tony Turunen, brother of ex-Nightwish Tarja Turunen. Rhythm guitarist Tapani Kangas departed from Celesty in August 2010.
Celesty began an indefinite hiatus in January 2012. The official website states that "During the time, when 5th album songs have been in progress, there has been mixed feelings in the air for a longer period of time now. Situation in the band has come to the point, where only solution is to take a break. Will that break be a year or ten, we don´t know, but this is the only way to take the time that we need."
In 2016 the band announced a reunion for at least one show with original lineup. From Reign of elements Era
- Kimmo Perämäki - vocals
- Ari Katajamäki - bass guitar
- Jere Luokkamäki - drums
- J-P Alanen - lead and rhythm guitar
- Juha Mäenpää - keyboard
- Tapani Kangas - rhythm guitar
- Antti Railio - vocals
- Tony Turunen - vocals
- Teemu Koskela - rhythm guitar
- The Keepers of Jericho: A Tribute to Helloween Part II - The Chance (2003)
- Hangar of souls: Tribute to Megadeth - Holy Wars... The Punishment Due (cover of Megadeth song) (2005)
- Arise Records 2003 Spring Sampler CD - Revenge
- Arise Heavy Metal Magazine Sampler No 1 - Reign of Elements
- "CELESTY: 'Vendetta' E-Card Available". Blabbermouth.net. 2009-03-31. Retrieved 2009-07-13.[permanent dead link]
- "Official Celesty Web" Archived 2009-04-18 at the Wayback Machine.. Accessed on July 23, 2009
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-02-12. Retrieved 2010-02-24. 2009-05-12: Celesty play in BLOODSTOCK FESTIVAL (UK)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-02-12. Retrieved 2010-02-24. 2009-12-30: Line up changes
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-02-12. Retrieved 2010-02-24. 2010-02-20: TONY TURUNEN Announced As New Vocalist
- Tapani's departure letter Archived 2009-02-07 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Celesty // Website Official". 16 January 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-06-05. Retrieved 1 June 2012.