January 26, 1978 |
Detroit, Michigan, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
|Spouse(s)||John Ellison Conlee (m. 2010)|
Early and personal life
Keenan-Bolger was born in Detroit, Michigan. She is an alumna of the Mosaic Youth Theatre of Detroit and the Detroit School of Arts High School (formerly the Detroit High School for the Fine and Performing Arts). She is a graduate of the University of Michigan's musical theatre performance program. She is one of three children, all of whom are involved in the performing arts. Her brother, Andrew Keenan-Bolger, also graduated from the University of Michigan with a BFA in musical theatre in 2007. Already a Broadway veteran, Andrew joined the national touring company of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee in the fall of 2007. Her sister, Maggie Keenan-Bolger, who wrote the noted play From the Inside, Out, studied theatre and gender and women's studies at Oberlin College and graduated in 2006.
She married actor John Ellison Conlee in 2010 and announced that she is six months pregnant with the couple's first child in February, 2015. Their son, William Emmett Conlee, was born on April 29, 2015.
Keenan-Bolger's regional credits include Johanna in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street at the Kennedy Center Sondheim Celebration in 2002, along with productions at the Goodman Theatre, TheatreWorks and Sundance Theatre Program. In 2003, she originated the role of Clara Johnson in the pre-Broadway world premiere of the Craig Lucas/Adam Guettel musical The Light in the Piazza at Seattle's Intiman Theatre and Chicago's Goodman Theatre. She has performed Off-Broadway in Kindertransport, Little Fish and Summer of '42.
In 2005, Keenan-Bolger made her Broadway debut starring in William Finn's musical The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, where she originated the role of Olive Ostrovsky. For this performance, she was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical. She had appeared in the musical from its beginning at the Barrington Stage Company (Sheffield, Massachusetts) in July 2004, to the Off-Broadway production at the Second Stage Theatre in January through March 2005. With the original Broadway cast, she returned to The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee for a four-week limited engagement run at the Wadsworth Theatre in Los Angeles from May through June 2007.
Keenan-Bolger appeared in the Playwrights Horizons production of the new musical Saved with music and lyrics by Michael Friedman and a book by John Dempsey and Rinne Groff in 2008. She appeared in Bachelorette at the Second Stage Theatre and in Adam Bock's A Small Fire, opposite Michele Pawk and Reed Birney.
In 2011, she starred in the New York Theatre Workshop production of Peter and the Starcatcher, a stage adaptation of the 2004 best-selling children's novel of a similar name. She reprised the role of Molly in the Broadway transfer production of Peter and the Starcatcher, which played at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre from March 28, 2012 through January 20, 2013. Keenan-Bolger received Drama Desk Award and Tony Award nominations for her performance.
Keenan-Bolger played Laura Wingfield in the American Repertory Theater production of The Glass Menagerie alongside Cherry Jones, Zachary Quinto and Brian J. Smith, from February 2, 2013 through March 17, 2013. Keenan-Bolger reprised her role in the production's Broadway transfer, which ran from September 5, 2013 through February 23, 2014 at the Booth Theatre. She received a third Tony Award nomination for her performance.
She has sung in concert at the Lincoln Center American Songbook Series and at the Michigan Theatre with Audra McDonald. Keenan-Bolger performed as Martha in the 2005 The Secret Garden World AIDS Day benefit concert. She appeared on the concept cast album of Bright Lights, Big City. She also participated in a reading of Shrek the Musical as Princess Fiona in 2007.
She recently participated in a reading of "The Brave Little Toaster: The Musical" as the titular character. Others involved included Carol Channing, reprising her role as the Ceiling Fan. In early 2015, she is scheduled to appear in a live reading of Eric Carle's "Animals, Animals" for the Autistic Children's Trust in Bangor, Maine.
|2002||The Education of Max Bickford||N/A||Episode: "Murder of the First"|
|2007||Law & Order||Elaine Fowler||Episode: "Murder Book"|
|2008||The Battery's Down||Voter Registration Girl||Episode: "The Bronx is Up"|
|2012||Submissions Only||Michelle Loudon||Episode: "Another Interruption"|
|2014||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Mavis Summers||Episode: "Reasonable Doubt"|
|Nurse Jackie||N/A||Episode: "The Lady with the Lamp"|
|2015||Louie||Julianne||Episode: "Pot Luck"|
|The Good Wife||Wendy Searle||Episode: "Driven"|
|Elementary||Amber Bova||Episode: "The Cost of Doing Business"|
|2016||Good Behavior||Daphne||Episode: "So You're Not an English Teacher"|
- Serial: The TV Show, Megan Waller, 2015 (short)
|2002||Sweeney Todd||Johanna Barker||John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
May 10 – June 30, 2002
|2005||The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee||Olive Ostrovsky||Second Stage Theatre
January 11 – March 20, 2005
|Circle in the Square Theatre
April 15, 2005 – September 17, 2006
|2006||Les Misérables||Éponine||Broadhurst Theatre
October 24, 2006 – April 22, 2007
May 10 – June 22, 2008
|2011||Peter and the Starcatcher||Molly Aster||New York Theatre Workshop
February 18 – April 24, 2011
|2012||Merrily We Roll Along||Mary Flynn||New York City Center
February 8 – 19, 2012
|Peter and the Starcatcher||Molly Aster||Brooks Atkinson Theatre
March 28 – December 30, 2012
|2013||The Glass Menagerie||Laura Wingfield||American Repertory Theater
February 2 – March 17, 2013
September 5, 2013 – February 23, 2014
|2014||The Oldest Boy||Mother||Mitzi E. Newhouse Theater
October 9 – December 28, 2014
|2016||The Cherry Orchard||Varya||American Airlines Theatre
September 15 – December 6, 2016
Awards and nominations
- Internet Broadway Database: Andrew Keenan-Bolger Credits on Broadway
- Michael, Gioia. "Celia Keenan-Bolger Announces Pregnancy and Opens Up About Becoming a Mother". Playbill. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- The Kennedy Center Official Site
- Hernandez, Ernio.That's Amore: Guettel-Lucas Musical, The Light in the Piazza, Opens in Seattle June 14" playbill.com, June 14, 2003
- Gans, Andrew."2004-2005 Tony Nominations Announced; Spamalot Garners 14 Nominations" playbill.com July 11, 2005
- Hernandez, Ernio."Finals: The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Closes Off-Broadway; Next Round Is Broadway" playbill.com, March 20, 2005
- Gans, Andrew and Hernandez, Ernio.Original Spelling Bee Cast to Reunite for Musical's L.A. Debut" playbill.com, April 3, 2007
- Gans, Andrew and Jones, Kenneth."More Miz: 'Les Misérables' Revival Extends Broadway Run" playbill.com, December 19, 2006
- Lipton, Brian Scott."2007 Drama Desk Award Nominations Announced" theatermania.com, April 26, 2007
- Jones, Kenneth."Gotta Have Faith: 'Saved, the Musical', Opens in NYC June 3" playbill.com, June 3, 2008
- Hetrick, Adam."Bachelorette, with Keenan-Bolger, Waterston and Herlihy, Begins Off-Broadway July 12" playbill.com, July 12, 2010
- Jones, Kenneth."Adam Bock's A Small Fire, With Pawk, Birney, Keenan-Bolger, Williams, Opens Jan.6" playbill.com, January 6, 2011
- Gans, Andrew. "Encores! Merrily to Feature Colin Donnell, Celia Keenan-Bolger, Betsy Wolfe, Elizabeth Stanley" playbill.com, October 11, 2011
- "Christian Borle, Adam Chanler-Berat, Celia Keenan-Bolger to Return for Broadway’s PETER AND THE STARCATCHER" broadwayworld.com, February 16, 2012
- "PETER AND THE STARCATCHER Sets Final Broadway Performance for January 20, 2013" broadwayworld.com, September 28, 2012
- Gans, Andrew."56th Annual Drama Desk Nominations Announced; Book of Mormon Scores 12 Nominations" playbill.com, April 29, 2011
- Tony Award 2012 Nominees TonyAwards.com, accessed May 27, 2012
- Hetrick, Adam. "Zachary Quinto, Celia Keenan-Bolger and Brian J. Smith Join Cherry Jones for A.R.T.'s Glass Menagerie" Archived October 19, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. playbill.com, October 18, 2012
- Hetrick, Adam. "The Glass Menagerie With Cherry Jones and Zachary Quinto Will Arrive on Broadway in September" playbill.com, April 25, 2013
- Cox, Gordon. "Tony Nominations: 'Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder' Makes a Killing" variety.com, April 29, 2014
- "Celia Keenan-Bolger and More to Star in Lincoln Center's THE OLDEST BOY; Cast Complete" broadwayworld.com, August 6, 2014
- Gans, Andrew and Jones, Kenneth.Chase, Pasquale, Cavenaugh and More Join All-Star Secret Garden Benefit Concert" playbill.com, November 11, 2005
- Gans, Andrew. "Keenan-Bolger and Sieber Are Part of Aug. 10 Shrek Reading", playbill.com, 10 August 2007.