|Beauty pageant titleholder|
Jaitly in 2012
24 November 1981 |
Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India
|Alma mater||St. Joseph College|
|Occupation||Actress, Model, Entrepreneur, Writer|
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Title(s)||Femina Miss India 2001|
|Femina Miss India 2001
Miss Universe 2001
|Spouse||Peter Haag (m. 2011)|
Celina Jaitley (born 24 November 1981) is an Indian actress who mainly appears in Bollywood films. A former beauty queen and model, she was 4th runner-up in the Femina Miss India Universe in 2001.
2001–04: Debut and setback
Jaitley started her career from a marketing job in a Cell phone company in Kolkata before she decided to participate in a local beauty contest. She came in fifth place at Femina Miss India 2001. She also won the Miss Margo Beautiful Skin, Indiatimes Surfer's Choice, and MTV's Most Wanted award. She was subsequently sent to the Miss Universe 2001 contest representing India where she finished 4th runner up.
In 2003, she made her film debut in Feroz Khan's Janasheen.The movie was a moderate box-office success in India. For her second release she had a starring role opposite Sunny Deol, in the romantic action Khel, but the feature was poorly received and earned little at the box office.
In 2004, Jaitly turned down the lead role in Julie. In an interview with Stardust Jaitly commented, "I turned down Julie because I didn't agree with the reasoning of the protagonist in the story, who resorts to prostitution because her man ditches her. I didn't see why any educated girl would take such a drastic step. I take up roles that I mentally agree with, and this was not such a role". The same years Jaitly appeared in the Telugu language drama Suryam opposite Mohan Babu.
2005–08: Professional expansion
By 2005, under the direction of Khalid Mohamed, Jaitly played the role of Preeti, an air hostess, in Silsiilay. The movie was well received by critics. Rediff.com reported that "Celina Jaitley sizzles in the song Belibaas". She next portrayed the character of Sanjana in No Entry, the film was received favourably by critics and became successful at the box office with gross earnings of ₹840.9 million (US$12 million).
The following year, Jaitley co-starred in Deepak Tijori's comedy Tom, Dick, and Harry. The film became successful at the box office with gross earnings of ₹250.7 million (US$3.7 million). She next appeared in Apna Sapna Money Money directed by Sangeeth. It received mixed reviews, though became a financial success, with a domestic total of ₹390.4 million (US$5.8 million).
Jaitly's final release of 2007 was Suneel Darshan's comedy Shakalaka Boom Boom, with Bobby Deol, Upen Patel and Kangana Ranaut. Upon release it did moderately well at the box office but was critically panned.
In 2008, she took a supporting role in Golmaal Returns. It received mixed reviews, though became a financial success, with a domestic total of ₹660.9 million (US$9.8 million). Jaitley's performance was applauded with critic Taran Adarsh writing "Celina stays on your mind even after the show is over".
Recent work (2009–present)
In 2011, Jaitley had two leading roles. Her first was Anees Bazmee's Thank You, a romantic comedy. The film was poorly received by critics but became an economic success, earning over ₹950.6 million (US$14 million).  She next appeared in Shrimathi a Kannada film directed by Ravi kumar. It proved a commercial success.
There were reports that Jaitly was slated to play a Persian princess in the film Quest of Scheherzade with actors Sean Connery and Orlando Bloom, and directed by Ken Khan. This has yet to be confirmed.
Celina is married to hotelier Peter Haag and they are the parents of twin boys Winston and Viraaj, born in March 2012. Celina is currently based out of Singapore/Dubai and travels for her film and endorsement work between Singapore/Dubai and Mumbai regularly.
Jaitly is a supporter of the rights and equality of the LGBT community and supports the gay rights movement in India. She has been involved in activities concerning human rights, women and children's health, and sex workers rehabilitation in India for the past 10 years.
Jaitly was a vociferous proponent of abolition of Section 377 of Indian Penal Code (IPC), which criminalized homosexuality. The actress once stated that her first boyfriend was a closet homosexual who died of bulimia-induced problems. She has appeared several times on national TV channels, debating people who oppose abolition of Section 377. She expressed shock and disbelief over Supreme Court's verdict on Section 377.
In 2014, Jaitley made her singing debut in a music video on gay rights. The video titled 'The Welcome' has come up as the most watched online videos of the United Nations. It was launched by UN in April 2014 as a campaign against homophobia and has claimed over one million views so far.
Sepang Circuit Malaysia 2002, Ayur (ayurvedic hair shampoos) 2002-2004, Ponds (Dreamflower talc) 2001-2004, Margo (skin soap) 2001-2003, Gitanjali (Diamond jewels) 2003-till present, Jashn (Leading Indian apparels) 2006- till present, Proactv (International skin solutions) 2008-till present, RICHFEEL (trichology clinics) 2012-till present, 18 Again (women’s intimate care) 2012-till present, PETA 2005-till present, United Nations Equality Champion 2013- till present
|No Entry||Sanjana Saxena|
|2006||Jawani Diwani: A Youthful Joyride||Roma Fernandes|
|Tom, Dick, and Harry||Celina|
|Apna Sapna Money Money||Saania|
|2007||Red: The Dark Side||Anahita Saxena|
|Shakalaka Boom Boom||Sheena|
|Heyy Babyy||Special appearance|
|2008||C Kkompany||Item number|
|Money Hai Toh Honey Hai||Shruti|
|Golmaal Returns||Meera mena|
|Accident on Hill Road||Sonam Chopra|
|2010||Hello Darling||Candy Fernandes|
|2012||Will You Marry Me?|
|Run Bhola Run|
|2014||Hello 2||Radhika Jha|
- "http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1380415/". External link in
- Webonautics. "Celina Jaitly (Actress) – Official website – www.celinajaitlyofficial.com". celinajaitlyofficial.com.
- "I am unlucky in love: Celina". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 25 November 2008. Retrieved 13 May 2009.
- Gavin Rasquinha, Reagan (19 November 2006). "On your guard". Times of India. Retrieved 13 May 2009.
- "The whole world knows me: Celina Jaitley". Sify.com. Indo-Asian News Service. 14 July 2008. Archived from the original on 18 July 2008. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- "Biography". India celebrity.
- "Biography". Filmi beat.
- "Celina Jaitly". The Times of India. 10 December 2002. Retrieved 11 November 2008.
- Bhandari, Geetika Sasan (15 September 2001). "How ice hockey made Jaswinder into Jazzy". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Celina Jaitly". Indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- "The game that never began". rediff.com.
- "Celina Jaitly". Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Silsiilay: Women's lib, anyone?". rediff.com.
- computermech (26 August 2005). "No Entry (2005)". IMDb.
- "Ritesh rescues Apna Sapna Money Money". rediff.com.
- Bollywood Hungama (29 October 2008). "Golmaal Returns". bollywoodhungama.com.
- "Box-Office Report: Paying Guests doesn't payback. Hopes shifted to New York". The Times of India.
- "Thank You Movie Review". The Times of India.
- "Review: SRIMATHI - Sandalwood News & Gossips". Bharatstudent.
- "Celina Jaitly and Sean Connery, Will They Team Up". Pamil-visions.net. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Celina to tie the knot in Egypt". Times of India. 9 January 2011. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Celina Jaitly talks about Twitter, LGBT issues". HeadlinesIndia. 14 September 2009. Retrieved 14 September 2009.
- ""Bollywood supports gay rights", says Celina Jaitly". Sify. 29 June 2009. Retrieved 4 July 2009.
- Hingorani, Piya (30 June 2009). "Celina Jaitly campaigns for gay rights". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 4 July 2009.
- "Celina Jaitely saddened by the Supreme Court's ruling on Gay Rights". IANS. Biharprabha News. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Mumbai's gay pride comes to fore".
- "Celina Jaitley at re-launch of pro-gay mag Bombay Dost". Bollywood Reloaded. 19 April 2009. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- "Celina Jaitly starrer gay rights music video is UN's most watched". Patrika Group (17 July 2014). Retrieved 17 July 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Celina Jaitley.|
|Awards and achievements|
|Miss Universe 4th Runner Up
|Miss India Universe