|Edited by||John Pham|
|After 12 months|
Cell is a peer-reviewed scientific journal publishing research papers across a broad range of disciplines within the life sciences. Areas covered include molecular biology, cell biology, systems biology, stem cells, developmental biology, genetics and genomics, proteomics, cancer research, immunology, neuroscience, structural biology, microbiology, virology, physiology, biophysics, and computational biology. The journal was established in 1974 by Benjamin Lewin and is published twice monthly by Cell Press, an imprint of Elsevier.
Benjamin Lewin founded Cell in January 1974, under the aegis of MIT Press. He then bought the title and established an independent Cell Press in 1986. In April 1999, Lewin sold Cell Press to Elsevier.
The "Article of the Future" feature was the recipient of a 2011 PROSE Award for Excellence in Biological & Life Sciences presented by the Professional and Scholarly Publishing Division of the Association of American Publishers.
According to ScienceWatch, the journal was ranked first overall in the category of highest-impact journals (all fields) over 1995–2005 with an average of 161.2 citations per paper. According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2019 impact factor of 38.637, ranking it first out of 298 journals in "Biochemistry & Molecular Biology".
Contents and features
In addition to original research articles, 'another section publishes previews, reviews, analytical articles, commentaries, essays, correspondence, current nomenclature lists, glossaries, and schematic diagrams of cellular processes. Features include "PaperClips" (short conversations between a Cell editor and an author exploring the rationale and implications of research findings) and "PaperFlicks" (video summaries of a Cell paper).
Content over 12 months old is freely accessible, starting from the January 1995 issue.
- "About Cell". Reed Elsevier. Archived from the original on 2010-03-23.
- Elsevier: Cell: Home Archived 2012-09-25 at the Wayback Machine (accessed 12 December 2008)
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-01-28. Retrieved 2011-07-10.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Cell Press Wins Prestigious PROSE Award for Article of the Future". Press release. Cambridge, MA: Elsevier. February 8, 2011. Archived from the original on December 14, 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Schafer, Nancy Imelda (October 24, 2005). "Highest-Impact Journals (All Fields), 1995-2005". In-cites.com. Archived from the original on 2015-09-24. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: All Journals". 2018 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Clarivate Analytics. 2019.
- "Cell website".
- "Cell PaperFlicks". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- "Emilie Marcus, Executive Editor". Cell Press. Elsevier. Archived from the original on 2009-02-08. Retrieved 2008-12-12.