|Type||Screenwriting & Media Pre-production software|
|License||Mozilla Public License version 2.0|
Celtx (//) is media pre-production software, designed for creating and organizing media projects like screenplays, films, videos, stageplays, audio plays, documentaries, machinima, comics, games and podcasts.
The cloud based SaaS offering gives media creators a collaborative and non-linear approach to the pre-production work phase, providing support for industry standard scriptwriting, story development, storyboarding, script breakdowns, production scheduling and reports. It also allows creators to integrate media into their projects and facilitates team-based project management.
Celtx originates from desktop software built on open, non-proprietary standards (e.g., HTML, XML and RDF) and licensed under the Mozilla Public License version 2.0. Feature development and language translations (23+) of the application were driven largely by the feedback and volunteer efforts of members of the international Celtx community. That legacy desktop software has been discontinued and is no longer supported or officially available.
"Celtx" is an acronym for Crew, Equipment, Location, Talent and XML.
Celtx offers several features to screenwriters and anyone involved in pre-production.
- Celtx uses an industry standard screenwriting editor typical for screenplays, stageplays, AV scripts, comic books or radio plays. Celtx also includes a rich text editor module for writing novels.
- Project collaboration, management & storage
- Celtx Studio offers advanced project collaboration and online file storage.
- Scripts can be uploaded to the Celtx Exchange for public viewing, peer reviews and commentary.
- Celtx supports comprehensive creation of production calendars, stripboards, shooting schedules, and call sheets.
- Celtx features thirty-five different elements, such as Actor or Special Effects, that can be added to the project. These elements can have various information added to them, such as media or text. Celtx allows directors and writers to easily tag elements within each script. These tagged elements can then be automatically transferred to a script breakdown, which allows production staffers to easily know what elements the script calls for.
- Celtx allows people to create storyboard sequences, which can be printed or viewed using Celtx's built-in animatic playback feature.
- Shot Blocker
- The Shot Blocker tool can be used to draw a sketch or setup which can also be added to your storyboard. The Shot Blocker includes pre-loaded icons and imagery for cameras, lights and people that can be tagged with text, and tools for drawing lines, arrows, shapes and text.
- "Celtx- A must have resource for writing in any medium". Apple Gazette. Archived from the original on 2011-02-01. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- Beal, Greg. "A Few Notes on Formatting". AMPAS. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- "Celtx - Features". www.celtx.com. Retrieved 2016-04-01.
- Wagner, Vivian. "Creative Collaboration-The Open Source Filmmaking Experiment". Linux Insider. Archived from the original on 2011-02-01. Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- "how can i download the newest version of the free desktop software, updating what i have?". Celtx Help Center. Retrieved 2015-05-13.