|6th President of the Liberal Democratic Party|
20 June 2005 – 29 January 2017
|Preceded by||Hakan Çizem|
|Succeeded by||Gültekin Tırpancı|
|Born||July 5, 1957|
|Alma mater||Arizona State University|
Cem Toker (born July 5, 1957), is a Turkish politician and the former leader of the Liberal Democratic Party of Turkey (Turkish: Liberal Demokrat Parti, LDP). He was elected in the fourth ordinary party congress on June 20, 2005.
Early life and career
He worked in finance sector and formed a company on international consultancy, guidance and language services.
Toker is single and has no children.
His political career in the LDP started in 1996. Toker served as an executive and the chairman of Istanbul branch of LDP, He also served as the party's deputy secretary-general and secretary-general. From 2003 to 2005, he served as the deputy chairman of LDP. He has been elected as the president of the party for the first time at the 4th ordinary congress of LDP in June 2005. He has been reelected twice in March 2008 and October 2010.
He is the architect of the LDP led umbrella alliance offer in 2006. He offered an alliance to 9 political parties both from left and right (including Anavatan and Demokratik Sol Parti) for the basic values of republic against governing conservative party, AKP. The offer was still a possibility in 2007 and in 2011 elections. In January 2017 he announced he's stepping down as party leader and trespassing the leadership to Gültekin Tırpancı.
- "LDP Cem Toker´i Genel Başkan seçti" [LDP elects Cem Toker for Presidency]. Haber 7 (in Turkish). 2005-06-21. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- "Cem Toker yeniden LDP Başkanı" [Cem Toker is the LDP President again]. Hurriyet Avrupa (in Turkish). Hürriyet. 2008-03-31. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- Mintaz, Metin (October 4, 2010). "Cem Toker 3. Kez Genel Başkanlığa Seçildi" [Cem Toker has been elected for the 3rd time] (in Turkish). Bilgi Agi. Archived from the original on April 14, 2015. Retrieved 2012-09-07.
- Süter, Şakir (November 2, 2006). "LDP'den ittifak" [Alliance from LDP] (in Turkish). Akşam. Archived from the original on September 28, 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-19.
- Ataklı, Can (March 8, 2007). "Cumhuriyet için birlikte ilk ses" [First Sound at Alliance for Republic] (in Turkish). Vatan. Archived from the original on 2007-03-10. Retrieved 2007-03-19.
- TM. "Cem Toker steps down as LDP leader - Turkish Minute". Retrieved 2019-11-03.
|Party political offices|
| Leader of the Liberal Demokrat Parti (LDP)
|This article about a Turkish politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|