Cemetery of Splendour
|Cemetery of Splendour|
|Directed by||Apichatpong Weerasethakul|
|Produced by||Apichatpong Weerasethakul|
Charles de Meaux
Hans W. Geißendörfer
|Written by||Apichatpong Weerasethakul|
|Starring||Jenjira Pongpas Widner|
|Edited by||Lee Chatametikool|
Kick the Machine Films
Illuminations Films (Past Lives)
Cemetery of Splendour (Thai: Rak Ti Khon Kaen) is a 2015 Thai drama film written, produced, and directed by Apichatpong Weerasethakul. The plot revolves around a spreading epidemic of sleeping sickness where spirits appear to the stricken and hallucination becomes indistinguishable from reality. The epidemic is used as a metaphor for personal and Thai societal issues.
Soldiers with a mysterious sleeping sickness are transferred to a temporary clinic in a former school. The memory-filled space becomes a revelatory world for housewife and volunteer Jenjira, as she watches over Itt, a handsome soldier with no family visitors. Jen befriends young medium Keng who uses her psychic powers to help loved ones communicate with the comatose men. Doctors explore ways, including colored light therapy, to ease the men's troubled dreams. Jen discovers Itt's cryptic notebook of strange writings and blueprint sketches. There may be a connection between the soldiers' enigmatic syndrome and the mythic ancient site that lies beneath the clinic. Magic, healing, romance and dreams are all part of Jen's tender path to a deeper awareness of herself and the world around her.
- Banlop Lomnoi as Itt
- Jenjira Pongpas as Jenjira
- Jarinpattra Rueangram as Keng
- Petcharat Chaiburi as Nurse Tet
Cemetery of Splendour has received universal acclaim from critics. On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a 97% approval rating based on 71 reviews, with an average rating of 8/10. The site's consensus reads, "Cemetery of Splendour gracefully eludes efforts to pin down its meaning while offering patient viewers another gently hypnotic wonder from writer/director Apichatpong Weerasethakul." On Metacritic, the film currently has a weighted average score of 87/100 based on 17 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim".
|Award / Film festival||Category||Recipient(s)||Result|
|Asia Pacific Screen Awards||Best Film||Apichatpong Weerasethakul||Won|
|Achievement in Directing||Apichatpong Weerasethakul||Nominated|
|2015 Cannes Film Festival||Un Certain Regard Award||Apichatpong Weerasethakul||Nominated|
|2016 International Cinephile Society Awards||ICS Award||Apichatpong Weerasethakul||Won|
|2015 London Film Festival||Best Film||Apichatpong Weerasethakul||Nominated|
|Online Film Critics Society Awards 2015||Best Non-U.S. Release||Apichatpong Weerasethakul||Won|
|2015 Pancevo Film Festival||Lighthouse Award||Apichatpong Weerasethakul||Won|
|2015 Catalan International Film Festival||Best Motion Picture||Apichatpong Weerasethakul||Nominated|
- "Cemetery of Splendour". The Numbers. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- Justin Chang. "'Cemetery of Splendor' Review: Apichatpong Weerasethakul's Latest Enigma - Variety". Variety. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Complement to the Official Selection". Cannes Film Festival. 23 April 2015. Archived from the original on 5 May 2015. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "Screenings Guide". Festival de Cannes. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "Cemetery of Splendor". Metacritic. CBS Interactive Inc. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Cemetery of Splendor". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. 4 March 2016. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "The 20 best films of 2015". British Film Institute. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Top Ten 2015, Décembre 2015 n°717". cahiersducinema.net. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- Patrick Frater. "'Cemetery of Splendour' Wins Asia Pacific Screen Awards Trophy". Variety. Retrieved 25 October 2018.