Cemitério de São João Batista
Main entrance of the cemetery
|Location||Rio de Janeiro|
Cemitério de São João Batista (Saint John the Baptist's Cemetery) is a municipal necropolis originally owned and operated by the Santa Casa da Misericórdia do Rio de Janeiro (Holy House of Mercy of Rio de Janeiro), and run, since August 2014, by the private company Rio Pax.
Located in the neighborhood of Botafogo, it is the only cemetery in the city's south area, and, on October 5, 2015, it became the first cemetery in Latin America to be featured in Google Street View.
Cemitério São João Batista 13.jpg
- Álvares de Azevedo – Brazilian poet, playwright and essayist
- Artur Bernardes – 12th President of Brazil
- Bussunda – Brazilian comedian and TV personality.
- Marcelo Caetano – Prime-Minister of Portugal
- Dorival Caymmi – Brazilian musician, actor, and painter
- Cazuza – Brazilian composer and singer
- Chacrinha – Brazilian TV entertainer
- Artur da Costa e Silva – 27th President of Brazil
- Oscar Cox – Founder of Fluminense Football Club
- Luís Cruls – Belgian-born Brazilian astronomer and geodesist
- Eurico Gaspar Dutra – 16th President of Brazil
- Ernesto Geisel – 29th President of Brazil
- Nelson Gonçalves – Brazilian singer
- Antonio Carlos Jobim – Brazilian musician (composer of "The Girl From Ipanema")
- José Linhares – 15th President of Brazil
- Roberto Marinho – Founder of the biggest Brazilian TV channel, Rede Globo
- Emílio Garrastazu Médici – 28th Brazilian President
- Cecília Meireles – Brazilian writer and educator
- Aurora Miranda – Brazilian singer, dancer, sister of Carmen Miranda
- Carmen Miranda – Portuguese Brazilian singer and actress
- Vinicius de Moraes – Brazilian poet, composer and diplomat
- Clara Nunes – Brazilian singer
- Nilo Peçanha – 7th President of Brazil
- Floriano Peixoto – 2nd President of Brazil
- Candido Portinari – Brazilian painter
- Nelson Rodrigues – Brazilian playwright, journalist and novelist
- Cândido Rondon – Brazilian explorer
- Alberto Santos-Dumont – Brazilian aviator
- Júlio Ximenes Sênior – Brazilian scientist, author and Brazilian Army General
- Heitor Villa-Lobos – Brazilian composer
- Christina Nascimento (August 13, 2014). "Monopólio centenário no fim" (in Portuguese). Retrieved October 20, 2015.
- "Cemitério São João Batista no RJ agora pode ser visto no Google Street View" (in Portuguese). October 7, 2015. Retrieved October 20, 2015.
- Maarten Lambrechts. "Louis Cruls: Het leven van een Belgo-Braziliaanse astronoom, ingenieur en avonturier".