|Original author(s)||Exzap ,Petergov|
|Initial release||October 13, 2015|
1.15.1 / January 6, 2019
|Operating system||64-bit Windows 7 and above|
|Type||Video game console emulator|
|License||Freemium (latest version available one week early through Patreon donation)|
Cemu is a closed source Wii U video game console emulator developed by Exzap and Petergov for Microsoft Windows-based personal computers. it was initially released on October 13, 2015. Typically, the emulator updates once every two to four weeks, with Patreon supporters receiving updates a week earlier than the public release. Though it is still under development, it is able to run certain games smoothly. In January 2017, it was reported that Cemu is capable of running games in 4K resolution though graphic packs. As of 2018, Cemu is one of the four working eighth generation console emulators in existence along with the open-source Decaf emulator, also for Wii U, and yuzu and Ryujinx, for the Nintendo Switch (neither of which are complete as of December 2018); the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have not been sufficiently reverse-engineered yet.
Developers of Cemu expected that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild would be playable with only a few months worth of work, and had a rudimentary version of the game's tutorial playable within weeks of its release. As of July 2017, the game is now fully playable and is able to be completed with physics, particle effects, and reduced crashes. Cutscenes are currently available with a community-made addon called Cemuhook. Also included in Cemuhook is an optional feature that allows performance increases at the cost of intermittent texture bugs. On December 26, 2017, an update added support for multi-threaded CPU emulation, which enabled Breath of the Wild to be played at 60 frames per second.
- Plunkett, Luke (14 October 2015). "Wii U Emulation Is Coming Along". Kotaku. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- Khaw, Cassandra (14 October 2015). "Cemu, the first working Nintendo Wii U emulator, publicly released". Ars Technica. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- Khan, Imad (16 May 2016). "Cemu Wii U emulator runs Mario Kart 8 almost flawlessly after update". Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- Hassan, Ahmed. "CEMU 1.5.1 Perfectly Runs Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, Mario Kart 8 & Super Mario Bros U - TechFrag". Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- Campbell, Mark (May 16, 2016). "The Cemu Wii U Emulator version 1.5.0 now runs Mario Kart 8 almost perfectly". Overclock3D. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- Mendoza, Menchie (16 December 2015). "You Can Now Play 'Mario Kart 8' On PC With Cemu Wii U Emulator [Video]". Tech Times. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- Khan, Imad (16 May 2016). "Cemu Wii U emulator runs Mario Kart 8 almost flawlessly after update". Digital Trends. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- Kamen, Matt. "Cemu lets you play Wii U games on your PC in 4K". Wired.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2017-01-13. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- Phillips, Tom (March 7, 2017). "Zelda: Breath of the Wild already up and running on PC". Eurogamer. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Williams, Mike (March 22, 2017). "Breath of the Wild Nearly Running on PC Via CEMU Emulator". USgamer. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Becht, Eli (May 2, 2017). "'Breath of the Wild' CEMU 1.7.5 Update". Heavy.com. Retrieved December 28, 2017.
- Uneeb, Muhammad (27 December 2017). "CEMU Update Enables Multi-Threaded CPU Support, Update 1.11.3 Now Available for Patreon Subscribers | SegmentNext". SegmentNext. Retrieved 26 December 2017.