Cenn Fáelad mac Colgan
Cenn Fáelad mac Colgan (died 682) was a King of Connacht from the Uí Briúin branch of the Connachta. He was of the branch which developed into the Uí Briúin Seóla, who were centred on Tuam in modern County Galway. He is the first member of this branch mentioned in the annals.
The first mention of Cenn Faeled in the annals is in the year 653 when the ally of the Ui Fiachrach Aidhne, Marcán mac Tomaini, the king of the Ui Maine was slain in battle in Iarthair Seola by Cenn Fáelad and Máenach mac Báethíne of the Ui Briun. A step in the expansion of the Ui Briun from the plains of Mag nAi. In the Annals of the Four Masters it is Maenach who is referred to as chief of the Ui Briun.
The next mention of Cenn Faeled is in 663 when the Annals of Tigernach mention that he became king of Connacht in succession to Guaire Aidne mac Colmáin (died 663). The king lists such as that in the Book of Leinster also place his reign after Guaire. However, the Chronicum Scotorum mentions the death of Muirchertach Nár mac Guairi (died 668) as king of Connacht in 668. The annals also mention a certain Dub-Indracht mac Dúnchada as king of the Ui Briun of Mag nAi in 666.
The last mention of Cenn Faeled in the annals is in 682 when he was killed by Ulcha Dearg ua Caillidhe of the Conmhaícne Cúile, a subject tribe of the Seola region. The killing reflected the Ui Briun policy of subjugation and annexation of subject tribal territories. His descendants were sometimes titled kings of Iarthair Connacht in the annals.
- all dates per The Chronology of the Irish Annals, Daniel P. McCarthy
- Maenach belonged to the branch of Ui Briun that developed into the Uí Briúin Bréifne.
- Book of Leinster, Section 30 and the Laud Synchronisms
- Francis J.Byrne, Irish Kings and High-Kings, pg.247
- Annals of Tigernach
- Annals of the Four Masters
- Francis J.Byrne, Irish Kings and High-Kings
- Book of Leinster,Section 30
- Laud Synchronisms
- The Chronology of the Irish Annals, Daniel P. McCarthy
|This biography of a member of an Irish royal house is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|