|Founded||January 1, 1983|
44-46 Kampala Road
|John Ddumba Ssentamu,|
|Products||Loans, checking, savings, investments, debit cards|
Number of employees
The bank was founded in 1983 as a credit trust, Centenary Rural Development Trust (CRDT), by Simeon Lutaakome, Hugh Francis Pulle, Paul Kateregga, Vincent Kirabo kya Maria, Emmanuel Mpande, and John Ogutu. In 1985, CRDT began to provide financial services to the public. The bank became a fully licensed commercial bank in 1993, after receiving a license from the Bank of Uganda. As of May 2016, Centenary Bank was the largest majority indigenous Ugandan commercial bank.
In May 2009, John Giles left the seat of Managing Director after three years at the position. In 2011, the Centenary Bank launched a program with the World Bank Group to develop loans in the Ugandan agricultural sector.
In 2017, Centenary launched on a new core banking platform developed by the Greek company Intrasoft International S.A. and signed a partnership with Mastercard to develop a broad suite of new mobile banking solutions. In December 2017, the Centenary Bank signed a deal with WorldRemit to allow transfer from the remittance service. In May 2020, the bank launched instant paperless accounts for the unbanked Ugandan population.
The bank is a large financial services provider in Uganda primarily involved in the promotion of development through loans to rural farmers, processors of agricultural produce, small traders, small manufacturers, importers, and exporters. While engaged in all areas of commercial banking, the bank has a significant portion of its portfolio in the microfinance arena in an attempt to meet the needs of the many individuals and business entities with limited means. As of December 2019, the bank's assets were UGX:3.6 trillion (US$950 million). In December 2018, shareholders' equity was UGX:643.69 billion (US$175 million).
As of December 2017[update], Centenary Bank had its headquarters in Kampala. Its headquarters building is Mapeera House, on Kampala Road opposite City Square. The bank had a network of 63 bank branches together with 157 linked automated teller machines at 115 locations in the Central, Western, Northern, and Eastern Regions. The bank had 1,493,554 deposit accounts.
|Rank||Name of Owner||Percentage Ownership|
|1||Roman Catholic Dioceses of Uganda||38.5|
|2||Uganda Roman Catholic Secretariat||31.3|
|3||Stitching Hivos-Triodos Fonds, a wholly owned subsidiary of Triodos Bank||18.3|
|4||Solidarité Internationale pour le Développement et l'Investissement, a French investment bank||11.6|
|5||Four Ugandan individuals||0.3|
- Banking in Uganda
- List of banks in Uganda
- List of tallest buildings in Kampala
- Asset allocation among commercial banks in Uganda
- Mapeera House
- The Independent (24 April 2020). "Centenary Bank After Tax Profits Increase To UGX 156 Billion". The Independent (Uganda). Kampala. Retrieved 2 June 2020.
- Centenary Bank (27 April 2019). "Annual Report for the Twelve Months Ended 31 December 2018" (PDF). Kampala: Centenary Bank. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- Bank of Uganda (31 March 2017). "List of Licensed Commercial Banks As At 31 March 2017" (PDF). Kampala: Bank of Uganda. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 July 2017. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- EABW Staff (17 June 2012). "Uganda's Largest Bank Opens Towers". East African Business Week (EABW) via AllAfrica.com. Kampala. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Julian (20 May 2016). "The 8 Biggest Banks In Uganda (As At May 2016)". Nairobi: Naibuzz.com. Retrieved 28 July 2017.
- Moses Talemwa (20 May 2009). "New era at Centenary as Giles bids farewell". Observer.ug. Retrieved 6 June 2020.
- "Centenary Bank-World Bank partnership to benefit 30,000 farmers in Uganda". Reliefweb.int. 12 July 2011. Retrieved 6 June 2020.
- Tanya Andreasyan (9 January 2017). "Centenary Bank live with new core banking system, Profits". Fintechfutures.com. Retrieved 6 June 2020.
- "Centenary Bank and Mastercard partnership will transform Uganda's Economy". Intelligentcio.com. 20 July 2017. Retrieved 6 June 2020.
- "Uganda: Centenary Bank Signs Deal With Worldremit". Mfw4a.org. 29 December 2017. Retrieved 6 June 2020.
- "Faced with Covid impact, Centenary Bank Launches Instant Paperless account opening service". Softpower.ug. 27 May 2020. Retrieved 6 June 2020.