Centennial Watershed State Forest
|Centennial Watershed State Forest|
Saugatuck Reservoir from the Saugatuck Trail in Centennial Watershed State Forest.
|Location||Fairfield, Connecticut, United States|
|Area||15,370 acres (62.2 km2)|
|Elevation||282 ft (86 m)|
|Governing body||Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, The Nature Conservancy, Aquarion Water Company|
|Website||Centennial Watershed State Forest|
Centennial Watershed State Forest is a Connecticut state forest of more than 15,000 acres with larger parcels located in the towns of Easton, Newtown, Redding, and Weston. Dozens of other properties are strung throughout much of Southwestern part of the state. In 2002, the lands were acquired from the Aquarion Water Company by the state in partnership with The Nature Conservancy. Those three entities continue to manage the property by committee. The forest was named in honor of the hundredth anniversary of the state forest system.
Although most of the state forest acreage is off limits to the public and patrolled by Aquarion security officers, the forest offers opportunities for letterboxing, hiking on the Aspetuck Valley Trail and Saugatuck Trail, and shoreline fishing on the Saugatuck Reservoir. Access to the forest is by permit only.
- "Saugatuck Reservoir". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Appendix A: List of State Parks and Forests" (PDF). State Parks and Forests: Funding. Staff Findings and Recommendations. Connecticut General Assembly. January 23, 2014. p. A-1. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Centennial Watershed State Forest". State Parks and Forests. Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. July 18, 2016. Retrieved October 30, 2017.
- "Clues for Centennial Watershed State Forest". Connecticut State Forests Seedling Letterbox Series. Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- "Connecticut Recreation: General Guideline". Aquarion Water Company. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- Centennial Watershed State Forest Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
- Saugatuck Trail Map: Centennial Watershed State Forest Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
- Aspetuck Valley Trail Map: Centennial Watershed State Forest Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection